This is an exciting opportunity for a Corpus Linguist to work in collaboration with Renato Software Limited and leading academics in The School of English at Birmingham City University (BCU) to enhance the safeguarding and wellbeing capabilities of Senso.cloud – a cloud-based IT monitoring and management solution for schools and enterprise. More information
As the Associate on this Innovate UK-funded Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP), you will work to improve the linguistic analysis capabilities of a growth-oriented software company specialising in online safeguarding. Applying your expertise in linguistics, you will enhance Senso.cloud’s ability to efficiently and effectively capture and evaluate online harms and threats (e.g. abuse, bullying, extremism, harassment, radicalisation, self-harm) by researching, designing, developing, and implementing new tools that will improve the safeguarding capabilities of institutions bound by a duty of care to service users (e.g. schools). Ultimately, you will work to improve the lives of children by creating tools that will be used for safeguarding in schools.
The successful applicant will be employed by BCU and will be based at Renato Software Limited, Nottingham (NG12 4DG). The KTP Associate will be supported and mentored by academics from The School of English for the duration of the project (24 months).
Knowledge Transfer Partnership
This position forms part of the Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) programme co-funded by Innovate UK. KTPs provide 1000+ high calibre jobs working with business across the UK and offer a wide range of benefits, including access to a £2,000 per annum (£4000 in total) Personal Development budget to upskill during the project. More information.
What we are looking for
- The KTP Associate should have a minimum 2.1 university qualification in a relevant subject area and graduated within the last five years.
- It is essential you understand how KTP works with business and the University, and the vital role you will play if you successfully secure a KTP Associate position. For more information, please go to: http://bcuadvantage.co.uk/funding/knowledge-transfer-partnerships
- Educated to postgraduate level in Corpus linguistics, computational linguistics, natural language processing, or equivalent. A PhD in corpus linguistics preferred,
- Understanding or familiarity with current issues in online harms and safeguarding
- Demonstrable experience of collecting and working with large, specialised corpora for empirical linguistic research
- Team and independent working – the candidate will have an aptitude for working effectively both independently and as part of an interdisciplinary team. The candidate will have to navigate multiple business teams within the organisation to drive innovation.
- Excellent presentation and written communication skills – the candidate will be expected to articulate complex ideas effectively across teams and to both expert and non-expert audiences
- Strong academic credentials as evidenced by research publication (preferably in linguistics or corpus linguistics)
- Experience of software development/programming in R and/or Python, or a willingness to learn
- Familiarity with data science and natural language processing techniques and technologies, or a willingness to learn
- An interest in UX/UI
- A willingness to learn and be challenged – the candidate will be comfortable with constructive critique and challenging orthodoxies
- Good persuasion and negotiation skills – the candidate will be able to lead and drive change and will make an excellent ambassador for BCU, Renato/Senso, and the KTP project
- Organisation and time management skills – the candidate will be able to effectively manage their own time within the scope of the project and to produce high quality work to tight deadlines
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- £33,000 - £35,000
- Contract, dates and working times
- Fixed term
How to apply
Interview date: 7 September 2022.
For informal inquiries about this role, please contact Dr. Mark McGlashan
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 15 August 2022
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 15 August 2022