Crowe U.K. LLP (Crowe) and Academic staff within Birmingham City University’s (BCU) Business School are looking to appoint a graduate with specialist expertise around Artificial Intelligence (AI) application and logic algorithm development. Value will be placed on those candidates who have a strong background in AI programming and/or Data Science. An understanding of processes within auditing and accounting domain would be advantageous.
This Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) Associate role presents a unique and exciting opportunity to work in collaboration with leading academics at BCU to apply knowledge and technical innovation. The KTP associate should have graduated from a University within the last five years and hold at least an undergraduate degree in a relevant subject area.
This position forms part of the Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) programme co-funding by a grant through Innovate UK. It is essential you understand how KTP works with business and the University, and the vital role you will play if you successfully secure this position. KTPs offer a wide range of benefits including access to a £4,000 Personal Development budget to upskill during the project. For more information on KTP please go to. https://www.ktp-uk.org/graduates/
The successful candidate will be employed by Birmingham City University and will be based at the firm (Black Country House, Rounds Green Road, Oldbury, West Midlands, B69 2DG). The successful candidate will be supported and mentored by academics from the Business School at Birmingham City University. This position is fixed position 24 months.
Crowe, a leading audit, tax, advisory and risk firm with a national presence. The vision of the firm is “Helping you make smarter decisions today that create lasting value in the future”. (https://www.crowe.com/uk/)
The KTP project will accelerate the enablement of novel audit procedures, reduce costs, and improve accuracy which together will provide a significant competitive advantage. This will lead to rapid growth as large clients seek to diversify away from the "Big Four" accountancy firms and achieve cost reductions on their purchases of audit services.
Auditing tools change continually so the development process will be embedded in Crowe so the application could be updated by the Client Solutions team.
The project will also simplify the use of the many Crowe systems which do not currently share data and do not link together effectively. This hampers productivity, particularly for new trainees.
The streamlining of incompatible systems will remove the need for data transfer between systems using Excel spreadsheets and ad hoc databases.
This will eliminate errors, rework, and missed opportunities to combat fraud through the selection and set up of the best tools for the job. It also acts as quality control over portfolios and nationally as a single governance tool.
A software platform will be developed with the following objectives:
Using AI and a logic algorithm with client data to determine which auditing tools are most appropriate to use for that audit through an analysis of the data extracted from their client's management accounts. The user of the new software platform will then proceed with the most appropriate approach for the specific audit.
Monitoring status of the audit to cover all the tools in use on a specific audit and progress from the audit system
Replacing spreadsheets held by each member on their own portfolio providing governance and performance monitoring.
- Work to a high-level of technical expertise in mapping the existing operational processes at Crowe.
- Produce business action plans with Crowe management structure to support the development of the afore-mentioned system at Crowe.
- Liaise with the managing partners, and the wider staff team to ensure the project is delivered and monitored effectively.
- Be involved in developing requirements and specifications for the novel AI system.
- Assist the existing Crowe research and development team with the development of new Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's) and prototypes, as part of their new business processes.
- Be involved in practical aspects of researching, advising, procuring, scheduling the installation and maintenance of new equipment / consumables.
- Lead the planning, design, development and evaluation of prototype Machine Learning / AI systems and aid the development team in the deployment process of approved prototype systems.
- Undertake planning and management of any necessary in-house training and deliver support in research and innovation as part of the project on a wide range of product development areas.
- Responsible for the operational management of the project.
- Support and contribute to research collaborations by facilitating the prototyping, iteration and evaluation of the project through various stages of development.
- Manage change and lead the exploitation of new technology, which will partly replace traditional skill sets.
- Manage and deliver KTP project, KPI’s, Gantt Charts, Risk Assessment, and outputs of the KTP project.
What we are looking for
The KTP Partnership is looking for a high calibre graduate to join a team in developing an Innovative, Intelligent Management System, providing specialist expertise, professional understanding and ensuring the successful oversight of a major new development project.
- Hold a degree in software engineering, data engineering, data science, computer science or related subjects
- Relevant, practical hands-on, high degree of experience in modern software engineering and data engineering practices, along with expertise in developing and implementing Machine Learning / Artificial Intelligence based solutions.
- A strong record of accomplishment of managing projects to successful completion.
- An organised approach to work with the ability work on own initiative
- Strong knowledge and skills in developing systems for the intelligent optimisation of processes for auditing.
- Specialised knowledge of digital technologies, associated equipment, processes and techniques.
- Ability to interface with Crowe staff at various levels.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to persuade, influence and negotiate and present effectively to all levels.
- An organised approach to work with the ability to work on own initiative
- Ability to prioritise different tasks efficiently.
- Hold a Master’s degree or other postgraduate qualification in law or a related subject
- Experience in developing a novel digital platform and in evaluation of its efficacy to fundamentally transform the organisation’s operational model.
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- Sandwell · Oldbury
- £32,000 - £34,000
- Contract, dates and working times
- Fixed term
How to apply
The University is committed to internationalism and diversity and welcomes applications from all countries, faiths and backgrounds.
It is each individual successful applicants responsibility to ensure that they have permission to work in the UK. Some applicants may require sponsorship from the University and a visa from UKVI to take up the role if successful. More information on this can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa
Some roles are not capable of sponsorship because they do not meet the UKVI criteria relating to skill and salary level. If you are unsure as to whether you would require sponsorship if successful, or whether the role is capable of sponsorship, please contact us: RTinbox@bcu.ac.uk
Please note on occasions where we receive a large number of applications, we may close the advert ahead of the publicised closing date. If this does happen, we will contact all candidates via email who have started but not yet completed their application, giving 48 hours’ notice. We would therefore advise that you submit your completed application as soon as possible.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 30 September 2022
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 30 September 2022