We are seeking highly motivated Electrical Designers to join the group to work on the detailed design of solutions to meet the scientific challenges we face.
We work in a friendly, collaborative environment with opportunities for training and career development. We also offer flexible working hours.
- Produce electrical systems designs for a variety of projects including, precision positioning controls for optical systems, vacuum control systems, machinery controls, safety circuits and LV systems;
- Develop knowledge and skills required to use electrical CAD software and AutoCAD to produce schematics, hook-ups and other electrical design documentation;
- Assist in procurement of equipment through commercial suppliers;
- Contribute to hazard analysis and risk assessment exercises;
- Maintain and update engineering drawings and documentation on projects;
- Work within DLS procedures and contribute to their development;
- Develop a knowledge of design in line with the relevant British, European international and company standards;
- Develop and apply expertise in technologies such as programmable logic controllers, motion controls, distributed IO, instrumentation and pneumatic controls.
Job Reference 120A/17/NH
Post Type Permanent/full-time (Part time could also be considered)
Diamond Light Source is a world class science institute providing X-ray beams of exceptional brightness for use by scientists to probe the atomic building blocks of physical and biological matter.
The Engineering Group plays a key role in the design and construction of the electron accelerators and the beamlines that transport the light from the electron accelerator to the scientific sample. The accelerators comprise normal and super-conducting magnets and Radio Frequency cavities to energise the electron beam. The beamlines are made up of optical elements and sample environments that employ sub-micron, multi-axis, precision motion systems operating in Ultra High Vacuum environments and often at cryogenic temperatures.
Qualifications and experience requirements
You should have a HND/degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline, the ability to communicate effectively, initiative and enthusiasm.
Candidates with suitable experience in lieu of a degree would also be welcomed.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- HND or equivalent in relevant discipline
- Ability to provide ideas and creative solutions to technical problems, then produce designs, specifications and documentation to solve the issues.
- Demonstrate self-motivation and a commitment to continuing professional development.
- Demonstrate good oral and written communication skills with peers, subordinates, customers and suppliers.
- Experience of working in a team, discussing work with other team members and presenting ideas and solutions to engineers or customers.
Accepted degree subjects
£25,499 - £29,999
(Discretionary range to £34,499)
Contract and working hours
Permanent · Part-time · Full-time
How to apply
Diamond is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applicants from all sections of the community.
For more information and to apply, please visit our website via the apply button.
Closing date: 29/11/2017
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 29/11/2017