Joining a team of Production, Projects, Safety, and Maintenance specialists who are responsible for running the plant 24/7, the Graduate Engineer will get involved in the challenges of improving daily production as well as developing and implementing multi-disciplinary projects across our sites with the objective of sharing learning across all sites, thus improving together. There will also be opportunities to spend time at Argent’s Biodiesel Plant in Amsterdam.
This is an exciting opportunity to develop your engineering skills and work towards Chartership, whilst also gaining experience in other parts of the business. As part of our two-year Graduate Programme, and to guarantee early career growth and development, we ensure that the Graduate will have mixed responsibility of both day-to-day support activities as well as taking on real responsibility for meaningful projects. This will allow a steep learning curve to get a deep understanding of the biofuel industry whilst being accountable for delivering results.
This is a two-year fixed term Contract.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- Gain an in-depth understanding of the biodiesel process by working closely with operations, other engineers, the team in the lab and the development chemists.
- Optimise production of biodiesel – monitor the plants daily, analyse trends and prevent issues before they impact production.
- Analyse reliability, productivity and operability to identify improvements through upgrades to equipment, changes to the process or updated training. Measure and quantify these improvements through increased Overall Equipment Efficiency.
- Identify problems and opportunities through understanding and monitoring of the process and operation.
- Troubleshoot production and reliability issues on the plant – work with the site team to understand the Root Cause of problems, then develop the right solutions.
- Champion Argent’s Continuous Improvement process – use the techniques as part of your everyday drive for better safety and production.
- Lead an Energy Efficiency program for the site – finding the best opportunities and developing them into projects.
- Develop and execute plant modifications in response to the problems or opportunities identified:
- Develop projects that will improve the profitability, safety and sustainability of Argent’s biodiesel production. You’ll get input from across the site to develop scopes that meet the projects’ goals.
- Manage these projects from initial scope identification through to procurement, construction and commissioning.
- The projects you’ll be part of could range from plant extensions through to small safety, environmental and reliability improvements – no two projects will be the same.
- Contribute to detailed project design; HAZOP’s, LOPA’s, design reviews, process calculations, capital expenditure approvals etc.
- Work closely with the Procurement Department to get Argent the best possible value for money, learning how to negotiate with suppliers and manage contracts.
- Use the site’s management of change process to ensure that all changes are safe, compliant and reliable.
Health and safety
- Safety is key to everything we do at Argent. You will take responsibility for your own Personal Safety by following the site rules, and you will contribute to the site’s Process Safety through your projects and improvements.
- Ensure a thorough knowledge of your Health & Safety responsibilities.
- Support and promote Argents management of change and permit to work systems.
- Always wear Personal Protective Equipment as required. Take responsibility for your own PPE ensuring appropriate storage and care.
- Always strive to work in a manner safe to yourself and others and report any hazards immediately.
- Ensure all staff and visitors operates in compliance with Safety regulations.
- Actively participate in addressing Safety, Health and Environmental issues affecting the production areas, ensuring the relevant S, H&E checks are carried out.
- Full knowledge of the Plant Emergency Procedures and associated responses are required.
- Take responsibility for the Health and Safety of yourself and others whilst at work and to comply with the Company’s policies and legislation
- Support company Initiatives and demonstrate company values.
- To comply with all legal, regulatory and statutory obligations applicable to the role.
- Participate in training and personal development activities as required
- Be flexible in undertaking the duties and responsibilities attached to your role; Carry out any other reasonable tasks as required by the Company.
What we are looking for
- Minimum BSC chemical engineering or a similar scientific discipline
- Working towards Chartership.
- Some experience of working in a process plant will be useful.
- A drive to learn and develop.
- Must have good verbal and written communication skills.
- Be enthusiastic, persistent, analytical and self-motivated.
- Full right to work in the UK.
Accepted degree subjects
- chemical engineering
Additional job details
- Competitive salary
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 7 April 2023
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 7 April 2023