We are the Energy and Product Enforcement Team, the enforcement arm of the Office for Product Safety and Standards. With over 80 staff, we implement a range of product, environmental and energy efficiency regulations across a wide variety of product types in a number of different sectors, and we aim to tackle new and complex issues such as the selling of products online. We are working towards providing a regulatory environment in which businesses have the confidence to invest and grow whilst ensuring that consumers and the environment are protected. We do this by taking a risk-based and proportionate approach to our regulatory activities, in accordance with the Regulators’ Code. We are continuing to build our regulatory capability, our ways of working, and our staff’s expertise.
The Energy Supply Team sits within the wider Energy & Product Enforcement Directorate. The Directorate is responsible for a range of environmental regulations, alongside product safety, and are developing a coordinated approach to product compliance.
We are working towards providing a regulatory environment in which businesses have the confidence to invest and grow, and citizens and communities are protected. We do this by taking a risk-based and proportionate approach to our activities and by operating under The Regulators’ Code.
This role is within the team responsible for the legislation covering Gas and Electricity Meters.
We are looking for a Trainee Metering Engineer to support our metering work and provide technical support across the Energy Supply team.
In this role you will work closely with teams across the Office to support our strategic objectives.
You will support businesses to ensure compliance and consumer confidence in the accuracy of their utility meters. For further information: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/gas-and-electricity-meter-regulations.
- Assisting the Senior Metering Engineer responsible for the coordination of the teams’ enforcement activities and the statistical sampling of gas and electricity meters, ensuring their continued compliance with legal requirements.
- Working with the team to audit Meter Test Stations and review their quality procedures, ensuring the validity of in-service testing results submitted to the Office.
- Researching new, innovative technologies which require appropriate metering.
- Provision of Technical, Legislative and Policy support to OPSS/BEIS colleagues, Other Government Departments/organisations, meter manufacturers, various industry groups/trade associations, energy suppliers, the Energy Ombudsman, Citizens Advice and members of the public.
- Liaising with manufacturers and trade organisations to prevent barriers to trade and ensuring UK manufacturers can take advantage of increased market opportunities.
- Working alongside the Assistant Director – Energy Supply and Utilities Enforcement Manager, providing technical and operational support to deliver the teams’ statutory responsibilities under primary legislation.
- Some travel throughout the UK may be expected, therefore flexibility in your work patterns will be required.
What we are looking for
- A degree (or equivalent) in engineering or a related subject area is essential, with a keen interest in developing your metering knowledge and technical capabilities.
- Familiar with measurement techniques including traceability and measurement uncertainty.
- Able to communicate effectively at all levels within both Government and a variety of organisations in the utilities sector, including excellent presentation skills. Able to use standard Microsoft Office packages to produce reports and briefings that communicate sophisticated information clearly and concisely and being able to analyse conflicting technical data and make appropriate decisions and recommendations.
- You will work with colleagues and partners to deliver excellent customer service and will be proactive with the ability to take ownership and work without supervision.
- A willingness to undertake any training which may be vital.
We would especially like to hear from you if:
- Experience or specific knowledge of general utility metering, statistical sampling techniques and acceptability criteria.
- Knowledge of Quality Assurance Auditing and a technical background.
GSE Technical Skills - Provide Technical and Commercial Leadership-application
- Plan for effective project implementation.
- Plan, budget, organise, direct and control tasks, people and resources.
- Lead teams and develop staff to meet changing technical and managerial needs.
- Bring about continuous improvement through quality management.
GSE Technical Skills- Applying Technical Knowledge-interview
- Maintain and extend a sound theoretical approach in enabling the introduction and exploitation of new and advancing technology.
- Engage in the creative and innovative development of engineering technology and continuous improvement systems.
Please see the following link for the Government Science & Engineering Career Framework
Accepted degree subjects
- electronic and electrical engineering
- aerospace engineering
- engineering management
- civil engineering and construction
- chemical engineering
- transport engineering
- materials science
- mechanical engineering
Additional job details
- £27,675 - £31,200
A culture of flexible working; Civil Service Pension Scheme; 25 days of paid annual leave, increasing by one day per year up to a maximum of 30; a hybrid office/home based working model; 40-60% office time See complete advert for all benefits
How to apply
Please see the Job description on the Civil Service job website for full details of the role, and the application assessment methods. This includes a test which you need to complete by the advert deadline of 3 July.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles. We embrace diversity and promote equality of opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for people with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
We are Inclusive
We are fully committed to being an inclusive employer and ensuring equal opportunities. We are keen to make our workforce as diverse as possible and recognise how important inclusivity is to achieve the best outcomes. We hope to attract applications from all underrepresented groups.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 3 July 2022
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 3 July 2022