Reporting to the Depot Operations Manager the job holder will assist in managing the daily waste collection operations ensuring compliance with all relevant legislation. Key to this role will be the interaction with drivers/mates giving advice and instruction where necessary. Working in partnership with the sales team the job holder will also be the first point of contact for both internal and external customers, ensuring a high level of customer service is maintained at all times.
- Liaising with customers, both internal and external, in a professional and courteous manner at all times, ensuring all calls/queries are responded to promptly and to a high standard resulting in minimal internal and external customer complaints.
- Processing customer requests from initial order through to the invoicing stage. Accurately recording and inputting data to ensure accurate invoicing and minimal customer queries.
- Assisting with the supervision of all transport employees including keeping in contact with drivers throughout the day and ensuring a full and effective de-brief is completed, passing any identified actions to the relevant person or department.
- Proactively identifying and resolving potential operational service failures to minimise complaints.
- Preparing daily computerised drivers routes in an efficient and achievable manner to ensure maximum productivity and revenue.
- Ensuring effective and economic utilisation of vehicle fleet whilst customer needs are met.
- Liaising with the vehicle workshops and fleet department to ascertain fleet availability for the forthcoming day/week.
- Arranging third party transport and temporary staff as and when required.
- Assisting the Depot Operations Manager to ensure full compliance with the company’s operators licence at all times.
- Ensuring compliance with Grundon procedures relevant to the depot.
- Assisting the Depot Operations Manager to ensure all transport operations are in accordance with documented Health and Safety procedures and not in contravention of any legislation and guidelines affecting the public and the environment.
- Keeping drivers/mates’ records, e.g. training, licences etc. up to date in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
- Deciphering and understanding digital and analogue tachographs, understanding Working Time Regulations and challenging all discrepancies where necessary.
- Downloading digital and analogue tachographs on a daily/weekly basis and report on any identified driving infringements.
- Downloading of digital vehicle units.
- Producing reports in a timely manner.
- Ensuring full compliance with all company policies and procedures including health and safety and employment.
Any other duties within the skills and knowledge of the jobholder as requested by the Depot Operations Manager or Regional Operations Manager from time to time.
Qualifications and experience requirements
- Educated to GCSE (or equivalent) standard in maths and English.
- Ideally two years’ office-based experience involving transport operations or a sound knowledge of the waste industry.
- Ideally, a holder of an ADR licence or has knowledge of ADR regulations (where applicable).
- Ideally a holder of a Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC), or a willingness to gain accreditation.
- Ideally an LGV Licence holder.
- Full driving licence holder.
- High importance to providing the best customer service.
- Confident communicator, both verbally and in writing.
- Competent (intermediate level) in Word and Excel and a good working knowledge of Outlook.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ideally, experience of databases/in-house IT systems or a willingness to learn.
- Good local geographical knowledge relevant to the depot’s location.
- Flexible attitude with the ability to multi-task.
- Evidence of being a team player by being pro-active in showing support for colleagues and manager, e.g. training, absence cover etc.
- Ability to manage own time, prioritise tasks and meet deadlines.
- Good problem solving skills, adopting a practical approach: able to resolve issues to a good standard or knowing when to refer to manager.
Evidence of being self-motivated by undertaking relevant training and making suggestions for continuous improvement in systems and processes.
Accepted degree subjects
Contract and working hours
How to apply
Closing date: 06/03/2017
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 06/03/2017