To keep pace with this growing industry, you'll need to consider updating your skills and possibly gaining an additional qualification. Find out what this may involveā€¦

Do I need to do postgraduate study?

Postgraduate qualifications are not normally needed for the creative arts and design sector. However, postgraduate study may give you the opportunity to further develop your portfolio and make industry contacts. You should bear in mind that in order to find employment you will need industry experience as well as study.

However, in specialist areas such as animation, community arts and museum and gallery curatorship, a Masters degree can certainly improve your employability if you don't have a related first degree.

For more information on entry requirements and career development in the creative arts sector, see job profiles.

To find relevant postgraduate courses in the UK, search art and design courses and research.

Should I join a professional body?

Membership of a professional body isn't as necessary for career progression in the creative arts sector as it is in other areas. However, membership can enhance your status within your field of expertise and in some cases lead to chartered status. By joining a professional body, you can also:

  • access training and events;
  • network with colleagues in the profession;
  • keep up-to-date with industry trends.

Which professional qualifications are recognised in the creative arts sector?

Although professional qualifications are not typically essential to progress in the sector, they could help you to stand out from the crowd and improve your employability. Alongside professional associations, sector skills councils offer a variety of accredited training programmes and courses.

The following professional bodies and organisations provide training:

  • Chartered Society of Designers (CSD) - is a professional body for designers. It holds the Register of Chartered Designers and endorses courses that satisfy professional levels. It awards Chartered Designer status and provides training to maintain registration.
  • Creative and Cultural Skills - the sector skills council for the creative industries. Provides skills and training through the Skills Academy to support young people that are in jobs in the creative and cultural industries. It also runs The Backstage Centre, which provides training to develop technical skills needed in the music, theatre and live events industry.
  • Creative Skillset - the industry body supports skills and training, as well as accrediting degree and postgraduate courses endorsed by the creative industries.
  • Incorporated Society of Musicians (ISM) - the professional body for musicians lists training and events for its members.