Professional development and training in energy and utilities

November, 2015

Discover how postgraduate study and professional training in energy and utilities can help your career to progress...

Do I need to do postgraduate study?

For many of the graduate schemes offered in the energy and utilities sector, you'll need a 2:1 Bachelors degree - or even, in some cases, a postgraduate qualification. For example, major oil companies seek those with a Master of Engineering (MEng), while a relevant postgraduate qualification is normally needed for specialist areas such as hydrogeology or geophysics. Employers such as BP and ExxonMobil also advertise research posts for those with PhDs.

Once you're working in the sector, achieving postgraduate or professional qualifications can help you to progress and develop specialist areas of expertise. Continuing professional development (CPD) is supported by most organisations.

For example, some employers will offer you the chance to study for a Masters, perhaps even paying the fees. Others will offer professional training to help you to achieve incorporated or chartered engineering status.

For more information on entry requirements and career development in the energy and utilities sector, see job profiles.

To find relevant postgraduate programmes in the UK, search postgraduate courses.

Should I join a professional body?

Professional associations offer a variety of training courses that can boost your skills, plus provide accreditation and chartered status.

Membership of a professional body can offer a number of other benefits, including:

  • opportunities for networking;
  • regular invitations to conferences and training events;
  • up-to-date industry news.

Which professional qualifications are recognised in the energy sector?

For most of the roles in this sector, there's a corresponding association offering professional qualifications.

Professional bodies specific to this sector that offer qualifications and training include: