Professional development and training in environmental jobs

December, 2015

Take your career in environment and agriculture further by pursuing postgraduate study and professional development

Do I need to do postgraduate study?

The sector relies heavily on practical and technical skills, so it's not always necessary to pursue a postgraduate degree. Some employers will favour work experience coupled with an undergraduate degree.

However, it all depends on the job you want. For example, a research role will usually require a postgraduate degree. Environmental management and consultancy jobs are highly competitive and a relevant Masters degree may give you the edge.

Agricultural consultancies may require a Masters in animal production. A seed and crop technology Masters is also necessary for a technical consultancy post.

Those already working in the sector may also choose postgraduate or professional qualifications to progress in their job or become experts in specialist areas.

For more information on entry requirements and career development in the environment and agriculture sector, see job profiles.

To find postgraduate environment and agriculture courses in the UK, search postgraduate courses.

Should I join a professional body?

Joining a professional body can be very worthwhile. These organisations can provide you with information and advice, opportunities to gain industry-specific qualifications and connections to like-minded individuals.

Professional bodies in the sector include:

There are many more professional bodies in this sector, relating to the various land and animal-based careers.

Which professional qualifications are recognised in the environmental sector?

A range of professional qualifications are available to help you progress in the sector.

IEMA provides training for environmental professionals. This includes the Introductory Certificate in Environmental Management for those new to environmental issues, and courses tailored to specific areas of business. For the full range of training courses visit IEMA Training Courses.

The highest level of professional qualification available to environmental practitioners is the Chartered Environmentalist (CEnv). It is offered by the Society for the Environment (SocEnv) who also provide continuing professional development (CPD) to maintain registration.