Training to be a teacher can be a big investment and you need to consider course and living costs, which can vary between programmes and regions of the UK. Find out what financial help is available…

Across the UK, ITET students are entitled to the same student finance as undergraduates. The new government Masters loans aren't available for PGCEs but there are lots of other options.

The amount of financial support you receive will depend on:

  • your degree classification or highest relevant academic qualification;
  • the subject you have chosen to teach;
  • which ITET route you have chosen;
  • where you live and plan to study;
  • your personal circumstances.

Teaching bursaries

To encourage graduates to teach certain subjects non repayable bursaries of up to £30,000 are available in England if you’re on a non-salaried teacher training route. Eligibility depends on the subject and age range you plan to teach and your degree class.

Tax-free bursaries are offered for trainee primary teachers with a first or PhD and there are higher financial incentives for primary maths specialist trainees with a 2:2 or above.

For more detailed information on bursaries and scholarships see Get into Teaching - Bursaries and Funding.


A few professional bodies offer teaching scholarships of £30,000 in physics and £27,500 in chemistry, computing, geography, languages and maths. These competitive scholarships are aimed at those with at least a first or 2:1 degree, who are passionate about their subject and have the potential to be inspirational teachers. You can still apply if you have a 2:2, but you'll need to provide evidence of significant relevant experience. Scholarships are awarded in place of a bursary.

To find out more, see:

Salaried training

On the School Direct salaried route, your training costs to gain QTS will be covered by the school, this may also include a PGCE. Your salary will depend on the school you train in and what subject you're teaching. In 2017 salaries of up to £25,000 are offered to trainees in maths and physics.

There is also the early years teacher status (EYTS) graduate employment-based route which is a one-year part-time route for graduates working in an early years setting. The salary is set by the employer.

Tuition fee loans

If you're a home or EU full- or part-time student, you can apply for a tuition fee loan. Full-time students can borrow up to £9,000 and those studying part time can borrow amounts up to £6,750. Tuition fee loans are repayable and your eligibility may be affected if you've studied before.

Tuition fee loans are paid directly to your university or college. You don't repay it until you're working and earning, the repayment threshold is £21,000 per year or £1,750 per month or £403 per week. If you live in Scotland and are planning to do your training there, you don't normally need to pay tuition fees. To check your eligibility, visit:

UK students starting a non-salaried teacher training course could be eligible for a maintenance loan and tuition fee loan. There is no maintenance or special support grants. Students with children can still apply for dependants grants. European Union (EU) students are only eligible for a tuition fee loan.

Details about these grants and the funding arrangements for trainees from the EU can be found at GOV.UK.

Professional and Career Development Loans

Students can apply for a PCDL three months before the start of their course to receive between £300 and £10,000 for fees and maintenance costs. You have to have been resident in the UK for three years prior to starting the course and plan to work in the UK/EU after the course. Competition can be fierce, so you need to apply as early as possible.

Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA)

DSA is paid in addition to other student finance. It's to help pay the extra costs you may incur because of your disability and doesn't have to be repaid. It depends on your individual needs and is not assessed according to your household income. Postgraduate students can get a single allowance of up to £10,362 a year. Find out more about disability-related funding.