Moving somewhere new is never easy but knowing what to expect when you get there is half the battle. Discover what's in store when moving to the UK...

Making a fresh start in a new country can seem like a scary prospect especially when you have to learn a set of customs and traditions different from your own. In such situations it's completely normal to worry about what to expect and whether you'll fit in.

When it comes to dealing with culture shock it's good to know that on the whole British people are friendly and accepting and British society is open and multicultural. No matter your location in UK you'll be able to find activities and cultures to help you feel at home.

This guide covers all the essential points that will help ease your transition when moving to the UK.

Arriving at the airport

If you're travelling to the UK by air and are from outside the European Union (EU) you will more than likely arrive at one of the three major London airports:

  • Heathrow;
  • Gatwick;
  • Stansted.

Other cities with airports that cater for flights from outside of the EU include:

  • Belfast;
  • Birmingham;
  • Bristol;
  • Manchester;
  • Newcastle.

From these locations you can easily get to your accommodation and other parts of the UK, by train, bus or taxi.

On arrival at the airport you will go through Immigration Control where your passport and visa documents are checked. Once you have collected your luggage you will pass through Customs Control.

There are restrictions on what you are allowed to bring into the country. For example you can't bring in meat or dairy products from most non-EU countries, certain animals and plants are also banned. A licence to carry some prescription medicines is needed and there are allowances on tobacco, alcohol and gifts.

Before you travel check GOV.UK - Bringing goods into the UK.

Food and drink

Every country has it's classic dishes and the UK is no different. If you're feeling peckish (hungry) you could sample a full-English breakfast, fish and chips or a traditional Sunday roast. If you have more of a sweet tooth try cream tea and scones or trifle.

British favourites aside, UK menus are extremely multicultural, with chicken tikka masala now seen as a national dish.

Halal and kosher products are available in many restaurants and takeaways and in most large supermarkets. In larger towns and cities you will also be able to find specialist halal and kosher shops. However as a rule, animal products in the UK will not always be halal or kosher, so check before you buy or order.

Vegetarian and vegan food is hugely popular and such food is easy to find in supermarkets and restaurants. Healthy eating is also made simple with many food products clearly labelled with calorie, fat, salt and sugar content.

High street supermarkets have a huge range of products on offer, stores which are generally cheaper include:

  • Aldi;
  • Asda;
  • Lidl;
  • Morrisons.

Supermarkets that are more pricey but generally known for good quality include:

  • Marks & Spencer;
  • Sainsbury's;
  • Tesco;
  • Waitrose.

If you order over the internet, some supermarkets will deliver your groceries to your door for a small fee.

It is safe to drink tap water in the UK.

Public transport

When living in the UK you have a number of public transport options:

  • bus;
  • cycling;
  • train;
  • tram;
  • tube.

All locations across the country operate bus and rail networks while some towns and cities, such as Blackpool, Nottingham, Manchester and Sheffield, boast extensive tram networks. If you're living in the capital the famous London Underground - also known as the tube - can be relied upon to help you navigate the city conveniently, with similar networks in place in Glasgow and Newcastle.

If your destination is close by you can opt to save money by walking or cycling. Some universities also provide free or cheap bus travel around the campus for students.

Students are also eligible for subsidised travel tickets with a valid student card. The National Union of Students' (NUS) Extra card will give you:

  • a 10% discount at - one of the UK's intercity bus travel providers;
  • an 11% discount when buying a young person's railcard - giving 16 to 25 year olds one-third off rail fares across the UK;
  • a 25% discount at National Express Coaches - a leading coach travel provider;
  • a 10% discount on advanced Grand Central tickets - providing cheaper train travel to card holders.

For further details see NUS Extra.


You should aim to open a bank account within the first few days of your arrival. This will allow you to:

  • store your money safely;
  • withdraw cash (many banks have a limit to the amount of cash you can withdraw in one day - usually around £300);
  • send bank transfers; and
  • pay bills.

Bear in mind that it can take up to two weeks to open an account so you need to make sure you have enough money on arrival to last until then.

Before opening an account take into consideration the basic features such as overdraft limits, interest rates and bank fees and compare them with other providers. Shop around and choose the account best suited to your needs.

To open an account you will need to visit the local branch of the bank you have chosen. Certain documents confirming your identity will be required such as:

  • your passport and/or visa;
  • a document confirming your student status;
  • proof of address;
  • references from your home bank.

Check with the bank beforehand about which documents you will need.

Remember that your account number and sort code are used to identify your bank account, while your PIN number is separate and used to identify the correct account holder when you withdraw cash or pay for items using a debit or credit card.

A number of banks offer student accounts, which offer higher interest rates and free gifts such as mobile phone insurance or railcards. Banks that offer student accounts include:

  • Co-operative Bank;
  • Barclays;
  • Halifax;
  • HSBC;
  • Santander.

For more information see UKCISA - Opening a bank account.


Despite being part of the EU, the UK's currency is pound sterling (£), rather than the Euro. There are 100 pence (p) to the pound. Coins that exist are:

  • 1p;
  • 2p;
  • 5p;
  • 10p;
  • 20p;
  • 50p;
  • £1;
  • £2.

Banknotes that exist are:

  • £5;
  • £10;
  • £20;
  • £50.

When out and about it's best to take small amounts of money with you as £50 notes are not widely accepted in shops.

In English there are a number of common 'slang' terms used to describe money, that could easily confuse if you're not completely fluent in the language. These included:

  • the use of 'p' (pee) for 'pence';
  • the use of 'quid' to describe £1;
  • the use of 'fiver' or 'tenner' to describe £5 and £10 respectively.

Student accommodation

Most international students stay in university accommodation such as halls of residence and this is generally organised through an education agency or the university direct. It is usual to have your own bedroom and share a kitchen and bathroom with other students, making it a great way to make friends.

University accommodation outside of the London area is considerably cheaper than halls in the capital.

Other accommodation options for international students include:

  • Private accommodation - many students rent private houses, sharing the cost with friends.
  • Homestay accommodation - where students stay with a host family and experience British culture first hand. For more information see Hosts International.
  • Short term accommodation - such as bedsits and hostels.

Some universities provide accommodation exclusively for postgraduate students so check with your chosen institution.

Living costs

One of the most important questions you will have when moving to the UK is how much will it cost. Some parts of the UK are considerably cheaper than others, London and other big cities will be more expensive. The amount you spend on living costs will vary according to your lifestyle.

Accommodation will be one of your biggest outgoings and rent prices differ depending on location and type of living arrangement. If you live in student accommodation utility bills such as water, electricity and gas tend to be included in the rent. However if you rent privately you will be responsible for paying these bills.

When you move in you should take a meter reading to make sure you are only charged for the utilities you use. You will need to set up a payment plan with your energy supplier (your landlord will tell you which company this is) where you agree to pay some money each month. You will then receive your bills either monthly or every three months (quarterly). If everyone in your house is a full-time student then you don't have to pay council tax. Contact your university accommodation office to find out if you are exempt and to pick up an exemption form.

Take into consideration 'hidden' costs such as food, transport, study materials and social activities. If you plan to return home for visits you'll also have to factor in the cost of flights.


To call the UK the country code is +44. To ring another country from within the UK you'll need to dial '00' followed by the country's code.

If you're staying the UK for any amount of time it's likely you'll need a mobile (cell) phone. The most popular, and often cheapest option, for international students is to buy a pay-as-you-go SIM card to go in your existing phone (this may need to be 'unlocked' to your new network first) or a new phone.

Pay-as-you-go means you add money to your account as and when you need it. Lebara Mobile is popular among international students, as it offers low-cost international calls.

With contract phones you pay a monthly bill. There are a variety of contracts to choose from and in order to get the best deal you'll need to shop around.

  • SIM only contracts - you buy a SIM card that can be used in an existing phone. You sign up to a 30 day rolling contract giving you the freedom to cancel at any time.
  • Long term contracts - run for a fixed period of 12, 18 or 24 months. These contracts sometimes offer deals such as cheaper calls when you're outside the UK.

Clothing and climate

To save space in your suitcase it might be better to buy as much as you can when you arrive in the UK. This will also help you to buy clothing appropriate for the weather.

You will need a raincoat and an umbrella for the rain in spring (March, April and May) and autumn (September, October and November). Then in the winter months of December, January and February you will need a thick coat, jumpers and boots for the snow. Finally, the summer (June, July and August) brings the sunshine so make sure you have t-shirts, shorts and sandals. However, this can be very changeable so keep your eye on the weather to make sure you are prepared.

Some popular and affordable stores on the UK high street include:

  • H&M;
  • Primark;
  • River Island;
  • TK Maxx;
  • Topshop/Topman.

Many shops will offer student discount (usually 10%) when you show them a valid National Union of Students (NUS) card.

When it comes to clothes a top tip is to layer your outfits. This not only allows you to save space in your luggage (you get more outfits from fewer clothes) but also ensures you're prepared for all eventualities, with the option to take layers on or off as appropriate.


The National Health Service (NHS) provides medical care free of charge depending on your circumstances. Services such as emergency treatment and family planning are free for everyone, while receiving other treatments for free depends on your immigration status, the length of your course, and where you are studying.

Some dental and optical treatments require payment.

The alternative to the NHS is private healthcare, which charges everyone for everything. Before leaving your country you should take out private health insurance, especially if you are not entitled to NHS treatment.

As soon as you arrive you need to register with a doctor. You should visit the closest surgery to you, taking a letter to prove you are a student. To find out more about registering with a doctor and entitlements to NHS treatment see UKCISA - Health and healthcare.

You also need to register with a dentist. Find out more and search for a dentist at NHS Choices - Find Services.

If you need to get medicine from a pharmacy, your doctor will give you a prescription. This costs £8.05 in England and is free of charge in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Safety in the UK

By international standards, the UK is a safe place to live and study. However, as a student in a new country, it's important to remember basic safety tips such as:

  • Money - Do not carry large amounts of cash and make sure you open a bank account to store your money rather than keep it at home. Be aware of people around you at cash machines.
  • Personal possessions - Keep your bag zipped up and your valuables out of sight. Photocopy your travel documents and passport and keep them separate from your original document. To track your valuables if they are lost or stolen, get them security marked at a local police station, often for free.
  • Travel - Avoid walking alone late at night and keep to well-lit streets. Only use licensed taxis and check they have a photo identification card and licence plate attached. Make sure you lock your car when you leave your vehicle and keep sat navs and other valuables hidden from sight.
  • Nights out - Never accept drinks from strangers and do not leave your drink unattended.

If you need police, ambulance or fire service assistance dial 999 in an emergency. For less urgent problems that require the police call 101.

Learning the language

Many universities offer additional language support, free of charge, to students who have been accepted onto a course. You can polish up your skills before you arrive or receive tutoring once you have started your course. If your first language is not English contact your university's language centre as soon as possible on arrival.

Find out more