Our application process is simple and straightforward: submit your information, send us your supporting documents, and receive your admission decision within three weeks. Should you be accepted, you will receive a comprehensive information packet and be directed to online resources for admitted students.
We review completed applications in “rounds” throughout the year. We encourage you to apply early: priority for admission and scholarships is given in earlier rounds.
Fall admission application completion deadline:
- Round 1: by 1 February
- Round 2: by 1 April
- Round 3: after 1 April (based on available spaces)
General requirements for graduate programs
A successful application to The American University of Paris requires several supporting documents and sometimes tests. Most can be uploaded directly in your online application. We cannot provide you with a decision until we receive all of your documents.
Online application form
- Personal statement C.V. or résumé
- Two letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts English Language Test (required for some applicants, see website for details)
- LSAT or GRE Exam Supplemental Essay
Months of entry
Preparing You for Public Leadership
Diplomacy and international law are critical components in addressing issues of seminal public concern. As populations flee repressive regimes and political issues have ramifications beyond any one state’s borders, the need for real-world solutions and the leaders who can implement them is paramount.
AUP’s Masters in Diplomacy and International Law aims to achieve concrete results, using the respective tools of each discipline to prepare you to develop real-world solutions. This interdisciplinary program will enable you to think critically about complex diplomatic and international legal issues in real contexts. By applying theory to practice, you will address some of the key questions facing public and non-governmental institutions around the world, such as ‘Why do states participate in international institutions that promote global cooperation’ or ‘How do states and institutions interact when cooperation breaks down and conflict ensues’
Gain a Global and Interdisciplinary Perspective
With increasing global interdependence, hard distinctions between foreign and domestic policy no longer exist. The Master’s program capitalizes on its location in the heart of Europe to train future public leaders to tackle today’s most pressing issues from an international perspective. The goal is to produce strong analytical thinkers and practitioners ready to be of service across cultures and national boundaries. Coursework in diplomacy and international law includes elements of international relations, economics, law, and political science to examine the problems of our day—and search for the best way to administer and manage innovative solutions. You will develop expertise in negotiation, strategic diplomatic thinking, and legal analysis to support your next career step.
Unprecedented Access to Prestigious Program Partners
A core component of the Master’s program in Diplomacy and International Law is the opportunity to work with our prestigious partners, applying classroom theory to challenging practical environments:
- Students in the MA program partner with the French War College in the annual Coalition Exercise, a polyvalent simulation of a military intervention during a humanitarian crisis. AUP students join the more than 500 officers and diplomatic participants to play the role of UN and international NGO humanitarian aid workers on the ground in a conflict zone, elaborating a humanitarian aid plan that provides relief to the tens of thousands of civilians caught in the crossfire.
- You will also earn a certificate from the University of Oxford International Human Rights Law Summer Program. Preparation for the certificate includes a practicum on international justice at The Hague, where you will engage in trial reporting and briefings with high level experts.
- As part of the MA in Diplomacy and International Law program you will participate in exciting, interactive modules with leading experts and practitioners from some of today’s most engaged NGOs.
Ensure your Professional Impact
Whether in the public or private sector, professionals need to be international and transnational in their outlook and vision. AUP’s MA in Diplomacy in International Law prepares you for exciting career paths to effect real change.
Fees and funding
A graduate degree is an investment in your career and The American University of Paris provides a financial aid program to help you with that investment. The majority of our financial aid awards range from 25 percent to 50 percent of tuition and the average award amounts to about 30 percent.
Qualification and course duration
|Assessment||What kind of work will I be doing? (proportionally)|
|Written/ formal examinations||50|
|Written coursework / continuous assessment||50|
Course contact details
- Caroline Meyer