Open to graduates with a good first degree or Masters degree.
Months of entry
During an MPhil/PhD you will undertake an in-depth research study that may relate specifically to your own practice. Completion of the doctorate will identify that you are an expert in your field and will demonstrate a proven ability to problem-solve and to perform original research at a very high level contributing to the existing body of knowledge within your own specialist field.
You will be required to:
- identify a research project that is original and will make a contribution to subject knowledge
- attend research training/seminar programmes which are University-wide and within our Faculty of Health, Social Care & Education
- work under the guidance of a supervisory team to develop ideas into an original research proposal
- submit your research proposal (normally) within one month of registration
- obtain any necessary research governance approvals. Whilst our University operates a Research Ethics Committee, your project may require application to external Research Ethics and Research & Development Committees, or similar
- implement your project following approvals
- complete annual progress reviews
- submit academic material to the Research Degrees Committee, normally within 2 years (3 years if part-time) of receiving approval of the proposal as Confirmation of Candidature, for transfer from MPhil to PhD
- submit a written thesis based on the work - an MPhil thesis is normally up to a maximum of 40,000 words, and a PhD 80,000 words
- complete a viva voce examination attended by a specialist examiner on your chosen topic who is external to Anglia Ruskin University
Information for international students
International applicants will be required to demonstrate the university standard of English language (IELTS) at Level 6.5 (including written English) prior to commencement on a course. Students who do not meet this requirement will be advised to seek support from Anglia Ruskin University's Language Centre.
Fees and funding
We periodically offer a three year, fully-funded studentships. We offer advice on external and internal funding to any interested prospective candidate for our PhD degree. There are also funds available within our Faculty for which you may apply.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Anglia Ruskin Applicant Enquiries Team
- 0845 271 3333