Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
- We welcome applications from candidates interested in our course who have the skills and capability to excel. All candidates are considered on an individual basis based on their qualifications, experience, references and motivation.
- A Diploma in Psychiatric Pharmacy from Aston University or equivalent is essential, with a research methods module a desirable option.
- Students will normally be employed by the NHS and will be on a career path as a mental health pharmacist specialising in the treatment of people with mental illness.
Please visit Aston University’s website for more information
Months of entry
Our one year research MSc Psychiatric Pharmacy Practice is available to you if you have previously successfully completed the PgDip Psychiatric Pharmacy course here at Aston. This single 60 credit module will enable you to convert your Diploma (where you will have obtained 120 credits) to a MSc (where you will then obtain 180 credits in total).
You will undertake supervised, but independently executed, practice research and be encouraged to integrate and apply the skills acquired during the PgCert and PgDip courses to investigate in depth an area of clinical psychiatric pharmacy practice of specific interest to you.
This module will equip you with the necessary critical, analytical and evaluation skills necessary to understand the research process thoroughly, including ethical and risk assessment issues. It provides experience of practice research and project management together with preparation for submission for publication.
In addition to the knowledge gained on this course, you will develop the following skills:
- The ability to collaborate across disciplinary boundaries in the field of psychiatric practice research
- Learn to communicate effectively to academics as well as students
- Learn good writing skills and the ability to complete an ethics proposal for submission to an ethics committee
- Develop the ability to study independently and employ good time management.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time12 months
- Distance learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Admissions Team