Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
The MSc in Educational Leadership is only available for individuals who are registered on the New/Acting Headteacher Programme.
Months of entry
The MSc in Educational Leadership significantly contributes to the Government’s agenda to provide Wales with inspirational school leaders who are well prepared and supported to lead their schools as learning organisations and is taught in partnership by the School of Education, Bangor University and Yr Athrofa: Institute of Education, University of Wales Trinity Saint David (UWTSD). This programme has been approved by the National Education Leadership Academy (Wales).
This transformational programme provides Headteachers with a structured programme to advance their professional practice in school. It enables practitioners to enhance their leadership role and advance their career by completing a piece of professional enquiry / research alongside a taught programme focused on examining key areas of leadership and management within the education sector in Wales. In this context, the taught component provides a core set of skills, knowledge and understanding required to instigate, lead and manage change for self, individuals, groups and communities. The modules encourage the students to build in-depth knowledge and understanding of national and international perspectives on leadership and management through inter-professional learning.
This MSc Educational Leadership degree is designed to ensure the Headteachers realise the educational ambitions for Wales, as outlined in the Professional Standards for Leadership in Wales.
On completion of this programme students will be able to:
- Complete an in-depth self-review, based on current educational research thinking, against the Leadership standards.
- Develop a shared and inclusive vision and strategic plan for the school.
- Develop the school as an effective learning organisation as exemplified in the literature.
- Using research, measure, evaluate and critically reflect on the impact of actions taken to initiate school improvement during the initial years of headship.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Education and Human Development