Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
- A 2.1 or 1st class degree is required. If you have a 2:2 degree, your suitability will based on your personal statement and reference.
- Strong references and personal statement
- Evidence that you will have access to clinical attachments to complete core course elements.
- Confirmation from a hospital (e.g. Health Board Honorary Contract, letter from a Departmental Lead Clinician) that the you will be allowed to attend theatres/ICU to complete key critical care elements of the programme.
- Confirmation from an air ambulance service that you will have access to a clinical attachment of sufficient duration to complete key prehospital elements of the programme.
Months of entry
Recent developments in prehospital care and retrieval medicine within the UK have led to the creation of unique roles for prehospital practitioners, involving advanced practice beyond that offered by traditional responders (for example, ambulance and paramedics.)The aim of this programme is to provide a robust academic framework for individuals who are training to become an advanced practitioner in rotary aviation medicine. The course covers both prehospital care and retrieval, including the management of critically ill patients requiring level 3 inter-hospital transfer. It is intended for experienced healthcare professionals who wish to formalise and develop their practice, and will require learners to develop within credible practice settings. The course is intended to be challenging, and will require learners to demonstrate proficiency in targeted clinical assessment, rapid diagnostics, therapeutics, and clinical management in the prehospital environment. In addition, learners will require to be proficient in assisting with the management of level 3 patients, which means a need to demonstrate knowledge and skills in invasive ventilation, invasive haemodynamic monitoring and support, and interpretation of investigations.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time36 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- School of Health Sciences