Good honours degree in a scientific subject. Less qualified students may be accepted if they have appropriate work experience, or through registration on the Postgraduate Diploma with the possibility of upgrading to the MSc after achieving appropriate results in the first set of examinations.
Months of entry
This Master's degree in bioscience provides hands-on experience and training in a wide range of analysis techniques and instrumentation used in the molecular biosciences, biomedical and pharmaceutical sectors. It is designed to allow flexibility in attendance requirements and offers the opportunity to complete a novel research project in one of our excellent research laboratories.
Why study this course at Birkbeck?
- Hands-on training in analysis techniques and instrumentation used in the molecular bioscience, biomedical and pharmaceutical sectors.
- Offers the opportunity to complete a research project in our research laboratories.
- Part of the Institute of Structural and Molecular Biology, a joint initiative with University College London.
- Very flexible modular programme: one-third is delivered by distance learning, allowing you to combine study with other commitments. Part-time students can attend 2 evenings a week over 2 years to complete the MSc.
- Taught in the Department of Biological Sciences, which offers state-of-the-art instrumental and computing facilities, and the possibility of collaborating with industry. The department and the Institute of Structural Molecular Biology also provide a seminar programme and skills training across disciplines.
- Watch videos of our postgraduate students discussing their experience of studying at Birkbeck.
Information for international students
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, our usual requirement is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests.
Fees and funding
The government's new postgraduate loan scheme allows you to borrow up to £10,000 to cover the cost of your tuition fees, living costs or other study expenses – and you don't have to start repaying until 2019.
Part-time students who are experiencing financial need may apply for assistance from the Birkbeck Alumni Fund Postgraduate Opportunity Bursary.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Student Advice Service
- +44(0) 20 3907 0700