Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
A second-class honours degree (2:2) or above in science, computing or mathematics, or equivalent qualification, or relevant work experience.
Applications are reviewed on their individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
Months of entry
Recent developments in electron microscopy mean that it can now determine the structures of proteins with near atomic resolution. Our Postgraduate Certificate in Macromolecular Electron Microscopy is an excellent introduction to the latest techniques in macromolecular electron microscopy, in which you will learn about:
- image formation in the electron microscope
- preparing samples for biological electron microscopy
- processing electron microsopy image data through to a final 3D atomic model.
- Birkbeck is one of the leading centres in electron microscopy in the world.
- This innovative course is taught entirely using the internet. You study part time in your own time, wherever you are in the world. Many of our students have full-time jobs or extensive family responsibilities.
- May be taken as a stand-alone certificate course or as part of our acclaimed internet-based MSc Structural Molecular Biology.
- Taught within the Department of Biological Sciences which, with University College London, is part of the leading research-based Institute of Structural and Molecular Biology. Several of the department’s world-class researchers contribute to the course.
- In the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF), in a joint submission with UCL, Biological Sciences at Birkbeck were ranked 11th in the UK, with a research environment supporting world-leading and internationally excellent research.
Information for international students
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, our usual requirement is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests
If you don't meet the minimum IELTS requirement, we offer pre-sessional English courses and foundation programmes to help you improve your English language skills and get your place at Birkbeck.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Student Advice Service
- +44 (0)20 3907 0700