Minimum second-class honours degree in a cognate science discipline.
Months of entry
This research-intensive programme will provide you with the skills and knowledge required to undertake a novel research project in the interdisciplinary subject area of microbiology.
In addition to your own laboratory work, you will attend group laboratory meetings and seminars.
Why study this course at Birkbeck?
- Develop a range of research skills and subject-matter expertise in microbiology.
- Undertake a laboratory project in a research-intensive environment, under the guidance of leading-edge researchers.
- The Department of Biological Sciences is part of the Institute of Structural and Molecular Biology (ISMB), a joint initiative with University College London.
- Ideal if you want to gain qualifications necessary for pursuing a research career.
- You will join an existing research group under the guidance of a research supervisor.
Information for international students
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, our usual requirement is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests.
Fees and funding
The government's new postgraduate loan scheme allows you to borrow up to £10,000 to cover the cost of your tuition fees, living costs or other study expenses – and you don't have to start repaying until 2019.
Part-time students who are experiencing financial need may apply for assistance from the Birkbeck Alumni Fund Postgraduate Opportunity Bursary.
Find out more about funding and financial support at postgraduate level.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Department of Biological Sciences
- + 44 (0)20 7079 0798