Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
A second-class honours degree (2:2) or above in science, computing or mathematics, or equivalent qualification, or relevant work experience.
Applications are reviewed on their individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
Months of entry
Up-to-date descriptions of the background, methods and techniques of protein crystallography are explained, and the programme gives the biologically orientated scientist a mainly non-mathematical insight into how protein crystal structures are determined and how results should be judged.
You will learn:
- the fundamentals of protein structure
- X-ray diffraction and symmetry
- how to determine structures using protein crystallography
- how to judge the quality of co-ordinates.
- An innovative course taught entirely using the internet. You study part-time in your own time, wherever you are in the world. Many of our students have full-time jobs or extensive family responsibilities.
- May be taken as a stand-alone certificate course or as part of our acclaimed internet-based MSc Structural Molecular Biology.
- Taught within the Department of Biological Sciences which, with University College London, is part of the leading research-based Institute of Structural and Molecular Biology. Several of the department’s world-class researchers contribute to the course.
- In the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF), in a joint submission with UCL, Biological Sciences at Birkbeck were ranked 11th in the UK, with a research environment supporting world-leading and internationally excellent research.
Information for international students
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, our usual requirement is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with no less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests.
If you don't meet the minimum IELTS requirement, we offer pre-sessional English courses and foundation programmes to help you improve your English language skills and get your place at Birkbeck.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time12 months
- Distance learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Student Advice Service
- +44 (0)20 3907 0700