Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
A second-class honours degree (2:2) or above in science, computing or mathematics, or equivalent qualification, or relevant work experience.
Applications are reviewed on their individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
Months of entry
Structural biology allows you to understand how macromolecules work at the atomic level of detail. This is important particularly in designing drugs which act at the molecular level to affect macromolecules.
Our Postgraduate Certificate in Structural Molecular Biology is ideal if you are a scientist wishing to update your knowledge, or as background studies if you are a research student, particularly if your undergraduate studies were in a different area. You will learn key experimental techniques in modern structural biology and methods for carrying out structural biology research.
- This innovative course is taught entirely using the internet. You study part time in your own time, wherever you are in the world. Many of our students have full-time jobs or extensive family responsibilities.
- May be taken as a stand-alone certificate course or as part of our acclaimed internet-based MSc Structural Molecular Biology.
- Taught within the Department of Biological Sciences which, with University College London, is part of the leading research-based Institute of Structural and Molecular Biology. Several of the department’s world-class researchers contribute to the course.
- In the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF), in a joint submission with UCL, Biological Sciences at Birkbeck were ranked 11th in the UK, with a research environment supporting world-leading and internationally excellent research.
Information for international students
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, our usual requirement is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests.
If you don't meet the minimum IELTS requirement, we offer pre-sessional English courses and foundation programmes to help you improve your English language skills and get your place at Birkbeck.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time12 months
- Distance learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Student Advice Service
- +44 (0)20 3907 0700