Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
A second-class honours degree (2:2) or above in any subject other than computer science. Applicants with less than the required level of academic qualification may be considered if they have significant experience in the IT industry.
Applications are reviewed on their individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
Months of entry
Our Postgraduate Certificate in Applied Data Science provides an excellent grounding for applying programming and data science skills in industry. As well as gaining a broad knowledge of computing, this intensive programme allows you to acquire programming and data analysis skills using Python. You will learn to solve general computational problems, utilising established algorithms and code libraries to develop simple everyday solutions for data cleansing, data science and analytics, machine learning and data visualisation. You will also have the opportunity to apply your skills and knowledge to a practical work-based project.
This Postgraduate Certificate is designed for graduates who are new to computer science.
- The Department of Computer Science and Information Systems at Birkbeck is one of the longest-established computing departments in the UK; we celebrate our 65th anniversary in 2022. We provide a stimulating teaching and research environment for both part-time and full-time students.
- In the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF), more than 75% of our research outputs in Computer Science were ranked world-leading or internationally excellent.
- Our academic staff are leading researchers in their fields, drawn from both the academic and professional world.
- The Department has its own dedicated network within the College. We also have four state-of-the-art computing laboratories, with over 100 workstations. They are equipped with a wide range of cutting-edge software and tools.
Information for international students
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, our usual requirement is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests.
If you don't meet the minimum IELTS requirement, we offer pre-sessional English courses and foundation programmes to help you improve your English language skills and get your place at Birkbeck.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Student Advice Service
- +44 (0)20 3907 0700