Good degree, or equivalent, in a subject other than computer science, together with some aptitude for programming. Applicants without a degree-level qualification but with significant computing experience may also be considered.
Months of entry
This intensive programme in computing provides a good grounding for working in the information technology industry. As well as gaining a broad knowledge of computing, you will acquire programming skills and have the opportunity to investigate certain areas of current research more deeply. The degree is designed for graduates who are new to computer science.
Why study this course at Birkbeck?
- Designed for graduates of subjects other than computing who would like to embark on a career in IT.
- Also ideal if you are working in IT and want to update your skills and place them in a broader context, while obtaining a formal qualification.
- Accredited as partially meeting the requirements for Chartered IT Professional (CITP) by the British Computer Society.
- You will have 24-hour access to several laboratories of networked PCs with a range of language compilers, database and other application software. We are connected, via the SuperJANET network, to the computers of other academic institutions in London, elsewhere in the UK and abroad.
Information for international students
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, our usual requirement is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests.
Fees and funding
The government's new postgraduate loan scheme allows you to borrow up to £10,000 to cover the cost of your tuition fees, living costs or other study expenses – and you don't have to start repaying until 2019.
Part-time students who are experiencing financial need may apply for assistance from the Birkbeck Alumni Fund Postgraduate Opportunity Bursary.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Department of Computer Science and Information Systems
- + 44 (0)20 7631 6722
- + 44 (0)20 7631 6727