Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Normally a second-class honours degree (2:2 or above) in a subject other than French studies or modern languages.
Language skills in French equivalent to A-level plus two years (also equivalent to a pass in French 5).
Applications are reviewed on their individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
Months of entry
This course is particularly aimed at those who would like to take a Master's degree in French, or a degree with a focus on French studies, but who need to bring their written French up to the right level. This course is also aimed at those who do not have a BA honours qualification in French and those with a qualification at, or near, BA level who would like to take a one-year qualification.
This is an undergraduate-level qualification that will prepare you for postgraduate study. Graduate Certificates/Diplomas typically take one to two years to complete and are made up of two, three or four modules at final-year undergraduate degree level (worth 60, 90 or 120 credits).
- Improve your French while learning about the culture, history and society of France and French-speaking countries.
- Birkbeck's Department of Cultures and Languages provides a lively, stimulating learning environment and has a dynamic and cosmopolitan staff and student population.
- In the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF), Modern Languages and Linguistics achieved 100% for a research environment conducive to producing research of the highest quality, while 73% of our research was recognised as world-leading or internationally excellent.
- The School of Arts is an official partner of the Institute of Contemporary Arts (ICA) in London. Opportunities for students have included a year’s free membership of the ICA, private views, discounts on all talks and events, free members' screenings and £3 cinema tickets on Tuesdays, up to 25% off ICA Artists' Editions and a monthly e-newsletter.
Information for international students
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, our usual requirement is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests.
If you don't meet the minimum IELTS requirement, we offer pre-sessional English courses and foundation programmes to help you improve your English language skills and get your place at Birkbeck.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Student Advice Service
- +44 (0)20 3907 0700