Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Certificate of Higher Education in Geology or previous study to that level.
Applications are reviewed on their individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
Months of entry
You will be taught by academics who are actively engaged in cutting-edge environmental research that is expanding the boundaries of knowledge. We cover coastal erosion, mineralogy, geoarchaeology, volcanology, earthquake forecasting, palaeoclimatology and palaeontology, as well as offering advanced modules in many other subjects. You can choose from a range of modules to create a programme that matches, expands and deepens your particular interests.
Our teaching philosophy is based around flexibility, allowing you to fit your studies around your lifestyle. We embrace new technology and methods to make learning accessible to all and have been running remote as well as face-to-face lectures for more than 20 years. This means you can attend classes with our internationally distinguished researchers in our world-class laboratories in London or you can watch live streams/recorded lectures at home using our cutting-edge online teaching platform. You are free to mix both these methods to find the best balance for you. This includes the option to study 100% online from anywhere in the world and receive a University of London qualification.
While not compulsory, there are opportunities to participate in residential field trips. On the Graduate Certificate you will have the chance to join final-year undergraduate students in Morocco or the Canary Islands.
This is an undergraduate-level qualification that will prepare you for postgraduate study. Graduate Certificates/Diplomas typically take one to two years to complete and are made up of two, three or four modules at final-year undergraduate degree level.
- Can be used as a qualifying course for PhD study.
- We offer you flexible teaching methods, balancing face-to-face and online learning.
- Exciting field trip opportunities to famous geological sites in Morocco and Spain.
- We are part of the joint UCL-Birkbeck Institute of Earth and Planetary Sciences (IEPS) meaning we share laboratories, expertise and events, all open to students for research projects. Find out more about our research facilities.
- In our joint submission with UCL, we were rated sixth in the UK for Earth Systems and Environmental science research in the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF).
- Our Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences has been offering evening study courses for over 70 years and distance learning for more than 20 years.
Information for international students
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, our usual requirement is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests.
If you don't meet the minimum IELTS requirement, we offer pre-sessional English courses and foundation programmes to help you improve your English language skills and get your place at Birkbeck.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Student Advice Service
- +44 (0)20 3907 0700