Certificate of Higher Education in Geology or previous study to that level.
Months of entry
Geology is an area of active research across a wide range of sub-disciplines. Through our modular course structure and use of web-based material for distance learning, we aim to provide up-to-date reviews of research topics across most aspects of the earth and planetary sciences.
Why study this course at Birkbeck?
- Can be used as a qualifying year for MRes or PhD study.
- Offered as part-time study at Birkbeck or you can study by distance learning, wherever you are in the world (find out more about studying our distance learning courses).
- An opportunity to take part in field classes to put your skills into practice (find out more about past fieldwork outings here).
- The Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences is housed with the University College London (UCL) Department of Earth Sciences. Together, the 2 departments form the UCL-Birkbeck Centre for Planetary Sciences. The Research School offers excellent facilities for research in environmental geology and planetary geology, as well as traditional geological and geophysical research.
Information for international students
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, our usual requirement is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests.
Fees and funding
Find out more about funding and financial support at postgraduate level.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Department of Earth Sciences
- 020 3073 8032
- + 44 (0)20 7679 2867