A second-class honours degree (2:2) or above, or its equivalent, in either a directly relevant or a highly quantitative subject.
Demonstrable qualities, such as good time management and the ability to cope under pressure, are vital.
Applications are reviewed on their individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
Months of entry
- collect and process economic data
- transform economic theory into applicable models
- use modern econometrics packages
- apply a wide range of estimation techniques
- interpret and evaluate results
- present an analysis and conclusions in written reports.
- Economics and finance at Birkbeck have acquired an excellent reputation for the quality of our training, which we extend to a wide range of clients, including the Treasury and the Bank of England.
- Birkbeck was ranked in the top 25 universities in the UK for its Economics and Econometrics research in the 2021 Research Excellence Framework.
Graduates can pursue career paths in banking and finance, the public sector, industry, and research and analysis. Possible professions include:
- financial risk analyst
- Civil Service fast-streamer
- local government officer.
We offer a comprehensive careers service - Careers and Enterprise - your career partner during your time at Birkbeck and beyond. At every stage of your career journey, we empower you to take ownership of your future, helping you to make the connection between your experience, education and future ambitions.
Information for international students
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, our usual requirement is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with no less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests.
If you don't meet the minimum IELTS requirement, we offer pre-sessional English courses and foundation programmes to help you improve your English language skills and get your place at Birkbeck.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Student Advice Service
- +44 (0)20 3907 0700