A second-class honours degree (2:2 or above) in a quantitative subject; students without the required degree may be admitted subject to passing an entrance test.
Applications are reviewed on their individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
Months of entry
The Graduate Certificate in Mathematics by Distance Learning provides an opportunity to extend and refresh your skills and background knowledge in mathematics, whether you are looking to progress to further postgraduate study or simply to complement your previous mathematical education. It is designed to suit both busy Londoners and students from around the world. The course materials and content have been specifically developed to meet the needs of distance learners and offer the flexibility you need to combine study with work.
We offer modules that cover key topics such as advanced calculus and abstract algebra to give a solid foundation that equips you for further specialisation in a wide range of areas of mathematics and its applications.
This is an undergraduate-level qualification that will prepare you for postgraduate study, such as our MSc Mathematics or MSc Mathematics and Financial Modelling.
- The Graduate Certificate in Mathematics by Distance Learning offers a highly flexible approach to study, brought to you by a college with a proud 100-year tradition of providing flexible learning within the University of London.
- Modules are designed and led by research-active mathematicians with expertise in areas such as algebra, combinatorics and numerical analysis.
- Students who graduate with a merit or above are eligible for entry to our master's courses, including the MSc Mathematics and MSc Mathematics and Financial Modelling.
- Our library offers a range of electronic resources, including electronic textbooks and journal access.
Graduates can pursue career paths in the financial sector, actuarial profession, IT and computing, teaching and academia. Possible professions include:
- chartered accountant
- corporate investment banker
- investment analyst
- quantity surveyor.
We offer a comprehensive careers service - Careers and Enterprise - your career partner during your time at Birkbeck and beyond. At every stage of your career journey, we empower you to take ownership of your future, helping you to make the connection between your experience, education and future ambitions.
Information for international students
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, the requirement for this programme is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests.
If you don't meet the minimum IELTS requirement, we offer pre-sessional English courses and foundation programmes to help you improve your English language skills and get your place at Birkbeck.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time7 months
- Distance learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Student Advice Service
- +44 (0)20 3907 0700