A good undergraduate degree in any subject; prior exposure to at least one of the three component subjects would be a distinct advantage, but it might be possible for able students to acquire the relevant knowledge as part of this programme.
Months of entry
It is impossible to fully understand the modern world without knowledge of politics, philosophy and economics. They have long been recognised as overlapping and informing one other and it was only relatively recently in intellectual history that the three subjects were separated from one another. PPE brings together these subjects to help you understand and engage with the world. You will develop essential skills of reasoning, inquiry and analysis that are applicable to a wide range of careers, including banking and finance, law, academia and teaching, journalism and politics.
Birkbeck's interdisciplinary MSc in PPE introduces you to the basics of the three subjects and it will hone your ability to understand, evaluate and analyse real-world information. The study of philosophy will introduce you to critical reasoning and some of the most profound questions it is possible to ask about humanity. The study of politics will acquaint you with modern governing structures in the UK, EU and further afield and with the concepts and ideas that underpin the theory and practice of politics. The study of economics will help you grasp how business, finance and politics intersect and determine how we live and work.
You can choose from a wide range of option modules and your learning will be informed by the cutting-edge research and expertise of academics across three distinguished departments at Birkbeck: Economics, Mathematics and Statistics; Philosophy; and Politics.
You will also receive one-to-one dissertation supervision on a topic of your choosing.
- This is the only PPE programme available for part-time evening study in the UK.
- Our departments of Economics, Mathematics and Statistics, Philosophy and Politics each have an international research reputation, as recognised by the government’s Research Excellence Framework and other indicators.
- The programme is a potential stepping stone to MPhil/PhD research in any of the three departments or in interdisciplinary combinations.
- Birkbeck Library has large politics, philosophy and economics collections, including the major specialist journals, and provides you with access to an extensive range of online materials.
- You can also take advantage of the rich research collections nearby, including Senate House Library, which is right next door to Birkbeck, the British Library, which is five minutes’ walk away, and the British Library of Political and Economic Science at the London School of Economics, which is walkable from Birkbeck.
Information for international students
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, our usual requirement is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests.
Fees and funding
Birkbeck is committed to providing advice and support to help you finance your postgraduate studies. The government has introduced new loans for postgraduate students and, alongside these, we also offer flexible payment options and a hardship fund to support students who experience a change of circumstances while studying.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- 020 7631 6403
- 020 7631 6416