Normally a first degree in a subject other than French studies or modern languages. Language skills in French equivalent to A-level plus 2 years (also equivalent to a pass in French 5).
Months of entry
Are you excited by the prospect of studying French language, literature and culture? This Graduate Diploma in French Studies is designed for those who wish to undertake postgraduate study in French and, in particular, those who would like to take an MA with a French studies focus, but who need to bring their written French up to the right level, or who do not have a BA honours qualification in an appropriate discipline. It can also be taken by students with a qualification at, or near, BA level who would like to take a 1-year qualification, with courses chosen from a diverse and challenging syllabus.
Why study this course at Birkbeck?
- Arts and humanities courses at Birkbeck are ranked third best in London and 11th in the UK in the Times Higher Education 2015-16 World University Subject Rankings.
- Provides a 1-year qualification in French studies.
- Designed for students who require further training at undergraduate level in order to take one of our MA programmes (e.g. MA Comparative Literature).
- Allows you to improve your French language skills and/or increase your knowledge of French culture, as well as improving your research and study skills.
Information for international students
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, our usual requirement is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Department of European Cultures and Languages
- + 44 (0)207 631 6170