Normally a first degree in a subject other than German or modern languages, and/or a BA not equivalent to UK honours standard. Language skills in German equivalent to A-level plus 2 years (also equivalent to a pass in German 5).
Months of entry
This Graduate Diploma in German Studies is designed to develop your German language skills and/or increase your knowledge of German culture, as well as improving your research and study skills.
Why study this course at Birkbeck?
- Arts and humanities courses at Birkbeck are ranked third best in London and 11th in the UK in the Times Higher Education 2015-16 World University Subject Rankings.
- Provides a 1-year qualification in German studies.
- Ideal if you wish to undertake Master's-level study of German, but you require further training at undergraduate level before commencing postgraduate study.
Information for international students
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, our usual requirement is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Department of European Cultures and Languages
- + 44 (0)207 631 6170/6113