We will review every postgraduate application to Birkbeck on its individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
Months of entry
- How do you pitch a proposal for an exhibition?
- How would you project manage this and who would need to be involved?
- How would you organise a loan for an exhibition?
- What are the different ways of cataloguing a museum object and why does the information you keep matter?
- How would you store a sacred object, or something that was extremely fragile?
You will spend two intensive weeks (one per year) studying the foundational principles of curating and collections management, debating the challenges and opportunities of contemporary museums and gallery practice and visiting London museums and galleries. You will listen to experts talking about their working practices, learn skills of documentation and work in groups to develop an exhibition.
This Postgraduate Certificate is suitable if you have a first degree and are interested in a vocational qualification, or as a refresher course if you are already working in a museum and gallery.
Information for international students
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, our usual requirement is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Student Advice Service
- +44(0) 20 3907 0700