Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
We will review every postgraduate application to Birkbeck on its individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
Months of entry
Our MSc Governance, Economics and Public Policy - involving Birkbeck’s internationally recognised Departments of Management, Politics, Economics and Geography - addresses these interests. This interdisciplinary programme is designed to give you a more comprehensive knowledge of the complex and dynamic relationships between corporate governance, economics and public policy, as well as the relationship between organisations in the public, private and third sectors, and their stakeholders.
If you work in an area of governance and public policy/politics, or if you wish to develop a career within it, and/or are interested in better understanding and influencing governance and policy, this programme is ideal. Birkbeck is one of the few institutions in London to offer a postgraduate qualification in this area.
- Based in the School of Business, Economics and Informatics, the Department of Management is an internationally recognised centre of excellence in teaching, research and consultancy in the broad field of management.
- Our academic staff are active researchers as well as enthusiastic teachers, and regularly publish cutting-edge articles in the world's leading journals. We have particular research strengths in corporate governance, international business and strategy, the management of innovation and entrepreneurship, human resource management, sport management and marketing, as well as financial management and accounting.
- This MSc provides a strong foundation for PhD research in the area.
- It is endorsed by the Progressive Economy Forum (PEF), and you will be invited to attend their public events and guest lectures.
- Benefits from the involvement of a number of leading figures in the field, including PEF council members, high-level political leaders, policy makers and civil servants. We engage in significant collaborative research and have excellent contacts with many public and private sector organisations, professional bodies and researchers at other academic institutions.
- You will have access to Moodle, our online learning resource, where all information and materials relating to your programme of study and modules are available, as well as the Birkbeck Library and e-Library.
Information for international students
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, our usual requirement is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests.
If you don't meet the minimum IELTS requirement, we offer pre-sessional English courses and foundation programmes to help you improve your English language skills and get your place at Birkbeck.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Student Advice Service
- +44 (0)20 3907 0700