Normally at least a second-class honours degree in any subject area from a UK university or a non-UK equivalent; other qualifications will be considered. A professional or other qualification obtained by written examinations approved by the College. Relevant experience, supporting statements and references may be taken into consideration, especially in the case of non-standard applications.
Months of entry
This programme will prepare you to pursue a career in management with multinational companies or companies engaged in international business; and to progress, if desired, to one of Birkbeck's research degree programmes.
It fosters the development of a broad-based knowledge and expertise in the following areas:
- The essentials of cross-border management theory and practice, and the core principles and practice of business and organisations in an international context.
- The design and implementation of strategy at different levels of the corporate organisation, particularly in an international dimension.
- A range of optional subjects in international business and management as well as specific functional areas that will broaden the scope of learning in international management, and its interface with international business.
- The analysis of conceptual and practical issues in international management through the pursuit of the dissertation, thus fostering powers of critical analysis and independent judgement to frame solutions to complex managerial problems in international business organisations.
- Personal skills development and generic skills that are transferable to a wide range of research, teaching and work situations, including the skills of self-discipline, reflection, analysis, communication, leadership and lifelong learning.
Based in the School of Business, Economics and Informatics, the Department of Management is an internationally recognised centre of excellence in teaching, research and consultancy in the broad field of management. Our academic staff are active researchers as well as enthusiastic teachers, and regularly publish cutting-edge articles in the world's leading journals.
We have particular research strengths in international business and strategy, the management of innovation and entrepreneurship, human resource management, corporate governance, sport management and marketing, as well as financial management and accounting.
We offer students of all ages and backgrounds a chance to study either part-time or full-time in our department and to gain an internationally recognised University of London qualification.
Information for international students
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, our usual requirement is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests.
Fees and funding
The government's new postgraduate loan scheme allows you to borrow up to £10,000 to cover the cost of your tuition fees, living costs or other study expenses – and you don't have to start repaying until 2019.
Part-time students who are experiencing financial need may apply for assistance from the Birkbeck Alumni Fund Postgraduate Opportunity Bursary.
Find out more about funding and financial support at postgraduate level.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Student Advice Service
- +44(0) 20 3907 0700