Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Individual employers will set the entry criteria for their apprenticeships: this may involve previous management experience, having undertaken an apprenticeship at a lower level or academic qualifications.
Applicants must also hold English and mathematics qualifications at a minimum of GCSE level or equivalent. Our standard postgraduate entry requirement is a second-class honours degree (2:2 or above).
Applications are reviewed on their individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
Months of entry
The MSc Management Practice is suitable for experienced managers and leaders in all sizes of organisation in the private, public and third sectors. It is designed to align closely with the student's everyday work experience and to underpin working practice with a solid understanding of management theory.
The programme meets the requirements of the Senior Leader Master’s Degree Apprenticeship standard, designed to develop future strategic leaders. Following successful completion of the programme, you will gain a Master's degree in Management Practice and in addition, you will be assessed for Chartered Manager or Chartered Fellow of the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) status, or membership or fellowship of the Institute of Leadership and Management (ILM), depending on your experience.
The programme will help you to advance your professional career by developing a theoretical understanding of higher-level management skills which can be applied to everyday work as a leader or manager. It is for those already in full-time employment (30 hours a week minimum), and fees are covered by the employer’s apprenticeship levy.
- A pragmatic, work-based approach to enhancing a professional career as a senior manager and leader.
- Meets the Senior Leader Master’s Degree Apprenticeship standard and offers professional recognition from the Chartered Management Institute and the Institute of Leadership and Management.
- Offers an opportunity to meet and learn from other ambitious and career-minded individuals across multiple industries.
- Based in the School of Business, Economics and Informatics, the Department of Management is an internationally recognised centre of excellence in teaching, research and consultancy in the broad field of management.
- Enthusiastic, knowledgeable and experienced academic staff, many of whom have experience working in leadership roles in industry.
- We have particular research strengths in international business and strategy, the management of innovation and entrepreneurship, human resource management, corporate governance, sport management and marketing, as well as financial management and accounting.
Information for international students
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, our usual requirement is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 6.5, with not less than 6.0 in each of the sub-tests.
If you don't meet the minimum IELTS requirement, we offer pre-sessional English courses and foundation programmes to help you improve your English language skills and get your place at Birkbeck.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Further details of qualification
Meets the Senior Leader Master’s Degree Apprenticeship standard and offers professional recognition from the Chartered Management Institute and the Institute of Leadership and Management.
Course contact details
- Student Advice Service
- +44 (0)20 3907 0700