Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Our standard postgraduate entry requirement is a second-class honours degree (2:2 or above) from a UK university, or an equivalent international qualification.
Management development professionals and consultants without a second-class honours degree (2:2 or above) but with suitable professional qualifications and at least five years' significant management experience in a range of organisations may be considered.
Applications are reviewed on their individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
Months of entry
The MSc Career Coaching offers a unique combination of in-depth study of career management, counselling and coaching with practical training in career coaching skills. It includes the development of research skills and the academic study of behaviour at work. You will also have the opportunity to apply for one of a limited number of placements with the Birkbeck Careers Service in your second year.
The course aims to equip coaches, consultants and HR professionals to work with groups and individuals at relational depth in organisations in the role of career coach, coach or consultant. It will enable you to critically evaluate theory, research and practice in these fields.
This is one of the few programmes in the UK to focus on adult career management and coaching. It attracts individuals working in a wide range of settings and organisational contexts, and provides excellent opportunities for peer learning and networking.
- The Department of Organizational Psychology is renowned for its quality teaching and expertise in the delivery of part-time courses.
- We offer students a bespoke skills training day, as part of this course.
- Access to an extensive range of electronic resources, including specially prepared texts for each module. Use of the online learning environment with a high level of staff support.
- People who hold the MSc Career Coaching meet the qualification requirements for entry to the UK Register of Career Development Professionals. The Register is the sector equivalent of Chartered Status. Being on the Register proves to employers and clients that you hold a qualification in career development at QCF Level 6/SCQF level 11 or above, abide by the CDI Code of Ethics, and undertake and record a minimum of 25 hours' CPD per year. Increasingly employers are asking that employees are on the Register.
Information for international students
If English is not your first language or you have not previously studied in English, the requirement for this course is the equivalent of an International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic Test) score of 7.0, with not less than 6.5 in each of the sub-tests.
If you don't meet the minimum IELTS requirement, we offer pre-sessional English courses and foundation programmes to help you improve your English language skills and get your place at Birkbeck.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Student Advice Service
- +44 (0)20 3907 0700