PGCE or equivalent professional experience.
Months of entry
Listen Imagine Compose now offers Continuing Professional Development (CPD) for secondary music teachers.
This is available nationally and is accredited by Birmingham City University. Learners can gain a Masters in Teaching and Learning or a Masters in Educational Leadership.
About the CPD
- The CPD is designed to enable secondary music teachers develop skills in teaching composing with KS3, GCSE and A level students;
- The course delivery team includes Professor Martin Fautley, Professor Pam Burnard, Gary Spruce and Dr. Jonathan Savage, supported by professional composers and musicians;
- The course is accredited by Birmingham City University at Level 7 (Certificate/ Diploma/ Masters);
- The course can be delivered in any UK location as long as we have sufficient sign ups to make it viable;
- Students can be a mix of those who do and do not wish to be accredited, subject to being able to form a viable group;
- The year-long programme comprises 6 x 3 hour sessions plus additional time spent reflecting on professional practice and undertaking action research in the classroom;
- This year-long course will normally result in a Diploma in Teaching and Learning or Educational Leadership, assuming that the learner has sufficient prior accreditation (eg a PGCE);
- A further year of part-time study is required to reach Masters level.
During the course teachers will:
- Reflect on what composing with young people entails;
- Learn new creative strategies for teaching composing;
- Develop pedagogic strategies for teaching composing;
- Develop existing schemes of work;
- Undertake Action Research;
- Be mentored by a leading academic and teacher trainer;
- Work with professional composers;
- Network and learn from other secondary music teachers participating in the CPD.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Further details of qualification
Masters in Teaching and Learning or Masters in Educational Leadership.
Course contact details
- Judith Robinson