Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
- 2:2 honours degree or higher in any discipline. IELTS (standard level) if degree was not delivered in English.
- 3+ years professional work experience (standard definition any role which has required you to work & interact with a range of people requiring a regular element of problem-solving)
Months of entry
Now is an exciting time to study Artifical Intelligence (AI). Many organisations are already using AI, so gaining these in-demand skils will make you employable and equipped for a successful career.
- Data Visualisation and Interpretation - Analysis that can’t be properly interpreted, explained and understood is a waste of time from a commercial point-of-view. We will teach you how to generate attractive and interpretable visualisations and tell the story of whatever data you’re working with to a range of audiences.
- Image Analysis - Machine learning has shown incredible results recently in understanding the themes of images and video which are being applied in a range of commercial settings; from security and driverless cars, to online clothes shopping.
- Natural Language Processing - Being able to understand speech and text is one of the cornerstones of artificial intelligence systems. Chatbots built on AI are appearing all over the internet, but more than this technology giants are searching for ways that machines can have detailed conversations with one-another and to be able to read and understand text documents.
- Time Series - Dealing with dynamic data is vital to AI systems in finance, AI and defence; whether predicting the future of stock prices to predicting patient outcomes in ICU and how a virus outbreak will permeate through a population
A strong focus on technology monitoring and ethics will be taught in a way to suit learners from all backgrounds. The masters’ project will have an industrial route for learners who want to work on an applied project with a corporate partner and there will be a route for graduates to undertake a professional placement or to go on to a doctoral research programme.
Why study AI at Birmingham City University?
- We have excellent links with industry - including Microsoft, Cisco, IBM and Amazon Web Service
- Learn through block delivery - one module per month. This means you will only ever study one module at a time so that you can really focus and immerse yourself. The modules are also carefully planned in a ‘scaffolding’ way, so that each module you learn prepares you for the next
- Assessment strategy that is valued by employers - We don’t use exams; we assess our students on theory that employers value such as, writing detailed blogs and creating dashboards
- Flexible teaching structure to suit you –To make the most out of your two days a week on campus, we plan lectures from approx. 9am-3pm, to fit around school times and caring responsibilities. Outside of these two days we have various self-directed learning activities, assignment support and drop-in sessions as well as regular guest lectures
- Supportive environment - Every face-to-face session is streamed online and recorded where possible for those who can’t make it – either through illness, self-isolation or family commitments
- Work on real-life projects and enhance your CV – You’ll have lots of opportunities to get involved in professional mini-projects. We are frequently contacted by organisations with real data and AI-related problems that students are invited to work on; some of which lead to prize money being awarded and valuable developments for the companies. This is the kind of personal development opportunity and experience that can boost your career and set you apart from other AI or Data Science graduates
Information for international students
Fees and funding
MSc - Full Time (12 months) - £9,800
We offer further information on possible postgraduate financial support. This includes the type of loans, grants and scholarships available both from the government and from Birmingham City University.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Distance learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Iain Rice