- A 2:2 or above UK honours degree, or equivalent internationally recognised qualification. Other qualifications and relevant professional or practical experience will be assessed on an individual basis.
- Usually, applicants to this programme who do not have a degree in English or Creative Writing have taken courses such as those offered by the Open University or the Arvon Foundation or have attended private writing workshops. You should be able to show that you have developed your writing and your understanding of literature through private study.
- A sample of your fiction writing between two and five thousand words, which you feel demonstrates appropriate ability and commitment will be required at application stage.
Months of entry
We designed the Creative Writing: The Novel MA quite simply to teach everything we think a new novelist ought to know.
It combines a focus on the skills of writing full-length fiction with a clear-eyed exploration of the publishing process and related creative fields.
The programme is designed around the core activity of producing a major prose fiction project, which can be a novel fragment with synopsis, a novella or a collection of short stories, of publishable quality and produced in a marketable form.
This MA has attracted considerable interest among publishers and literary agents, many of whom participate actively in the programme.
Information for international students
English language requirements
- IELTS: 6.5 (min 6 in all areas)
- Pearson: 58 (51 in all subscores)
- BrunELT: 65% (min 60% in all areas)
Fees and funding
Learn more at the postgraduate funding page.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- +44 (0)1895 265599