- A 2:2 (or above) UK Honours degree ,or equivalent internationally recognised qualification, in arts; humanities; social sciences; multimedia; computing, or electrical engineering.
- Other subjects and qualifications with relevant games industry experience will be assessed on an individual basis and may also be considered.
Months of entry
The video game industry is a vastly growing sector in both the UK and worldwide and the need for highly skilled and educated individuals is in high demand across the globe. With Brunel’s Digital Games Theory and Design MA programme, individuals will engage in, and experiment with, practical game design focussing on the process of devising the gameplay experience itself, including (but not limited to) the creation of rules, gameplay mechanics, narrative, world design and user experience, among many other aspects that make up the art of game design.
Coupled with a theoretical underpinning that focuses on the formal characteristics of games and analysis as well as the social and cultural contexts that shape the development of games, players, and society, this exciting programme offers students the opportunity to develop a range of skills that are required for success in today’s competitive job market.
Our programme is staffed with seasoned games designers and internationally published scholars who bring with them an extensive understanding of the nature of the video game industry, the importance of networks and the need for scholarly engagement in order to create innovative games for the future.
- You will gain a comprehensive and sophisticated understanding of the advanced academic study of digital games and the techniques and principles used in their design.
- You will be provided with the relevant expertise, teaching and learning environment to support your critical and creative engagement with issues at the cutting edge of analysing and designing digital games. You will contribute to the process of defining ‘game studies’ as a new academic discipline.
- You will develop skills and knowledge to gain employment in the digital games industry and make contributions to the development of innovative games that go beyond current markets.
- You will acquire the skills necessary to undertake doctoral level research.
Information for international students
English language requirements
- IELTS: 6.5 (min 6 in all areas)
- Pearson: 58 (51 in all subscores)
- BrunELT: 65% (min 60% in all areas)
Fees and funding
Learn more at the postgraduate funding page.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- +44 (0)1895 265599