The BPTC course is suitable for graduates in Law or any other subject with CPE/GDL. Applicants should show a commitment to the profession (e.g. via placements, mooting competitions, public speaking).
To enrol on the course you need to have:
- completed your academic stage;
- obtained a 2:1 class degree or higher (a 2.2 class degree will be considered on a case-by-case basis taking into consideration the application in its entirety);
- been admitted as a student member of one of the four Inns of Court;
- satisfied the English language requirement; and
- passed the Bar Aptitude test.
Months of entry
The Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC) offers intensive, post graduate-level studies to students who wish to qualify as a barrister.
The BPTC is taken after undergraduate study and before the period of work based training, also known as pupillage, required for those training to become barristers.
This programme will prepare you for the 12 months of pupillage and ensure that you acquire the skills, knowledge of procedure and evidence, attitudes and competence required during your work based training. It will also provide you with a solid foundation in knowledge and skills for your early years of tenancy.
The BPTC aims to foster a professional and ethical approach to practice as a barrister, whilst giving you an informed view of a barrister’s working life.
We have delivered a high quality and highly regarded Bar Professional Training Course/Bar Vocational Course since 1997. Distinctive features include:
- a guaranteed period of two weeks' placement (offering mini-pupillage with a local Chambers or other placement with the employed Bar, and marshalling with a local Circuit Judge and District Judge);
- a high level of individual feedback and support on performance in oral and written skills;
- a course strongly supported by the local employed Bar, the independent Bar and the Judiciary;
- the opportunity to practise all skills exceeds the Bar Standards Board’s minimum recommended number.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Shani Hughes
- +44 (0)29 2087 6106