Applicants should have a good honours degree or equivalent in chemistry or a related subject. Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to pass IELTS/ TOEFL exams.
Months of entry
January, October, July, April
The School of Chemistry has developed a particular strength in Physical Organic Chemistry, with a research group dedicated to this exciting area of study. As part of the Chemistry (PhD/MPhil)programme, students can conduct their research within this group.
The course aims to offer knowledge and expertise for a career in the pharmaceuticals and fine chemical sectors, teaching, biomedical research fields, research and managerial roles in general manufacturing industry (eg food, cosmetics, petrochemical etc).
- Research in physical organic chemistry offers a unique combination of physical and (synthetic) organic chemistry, in combination with applied mathematics for data analysis.
- Strong interdisciplinary collaborations support projects across traditional subject divisions.
- The laboratories of the EPSRC-funded Physical Organic Chemistry Centre were opened in 2007.
- Extensive collaborations internationally including with groups in Europe, Japan and the United States; a number of projects allow placements abroad..
- The Physical Organic Chemistry Centre maintains very strong ties with other POC groups in the UK and worldwide.
Further details of research carried out within this area, and within the School, can be found on our website.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Dr Ben Ward
- +44(0)29 2087 0302
- +44(0)29 2087 4030