First or second class UK Honours degree or equivalent. Suitable for graduates in earth, ocean and planetary sciences and related subjects, environmental science and related subjects, mining, civil, processing and environmental engineering and related subjects.
Months of entry
The MSc in Applied Environmental Geology is focused on providing geoscience graduates with the advanced technical and vocational skills appropriate to a career with professional geo-engineering and geo-environmental consultancies, regulatory authorities and government agencies. The Postgraduate degree is fully accredited by the Geological Society of London, which sets out to recognise MSc programmes that offer advanced professional and scientific training in a specific area of the geosciences. The degree can be used as a credit towards an accelerated route to professional qualification as a Chartered Geologist (C.Geol). Other benefits will be open to accredited Masters graduates converting from their Undergraduate geoscience degrees in non-accredited B.Sc. programmes.
Upon completion of the MSc students will be equipped to:
- Describe and explain the core scientific principles and concepts of soil/rock mechanics, water flow, and the pollution of soil, water and air
- Identify the standards, regulations, policies and legal frameworks required for the professional practice of applied environmental geology
- Research and write a Stage I professional desk study site report of a geo-environmental hazard using primary sources and GIS techniques
- Design and execute a Stage II geotechnical, geophysical, hydrogeological and geoenvironmental site and laboratory investigation, analyse the data and develop remedial solutions for geoenvironmental problems
- Communicate effectively (both written and orally) in multi-disciplinary teams, act ethically and in conformity with health and safety regulations, and assess the sustainability of policies and projects
- Seven months taught course in Cardiff followed by five months professional project, usually as part of an industry placement
- Vocational training, providing in-demand skills in geotechnical and environmental geology
- Strong links with industry and government agencies through invited lecturers and industrial projects
- In 2010-2011 and 2011-2012, over 95% of the students secured employment by the end of their MSc course
- National recognition of academic standards with four consecutive MSc dissertations (2008/2009/2010/2011) being awarded the Curry Prize by the Geologists’ Association
- Accredited by the Geological Society of London, thus can be used as a credit towards the professional Chartered Geologist qualification.
Full details of this programme are available on the Cardiff University website:
Information for international students
IELTS 6.5 is required.
Fees and funding
For more information about the scholarships and how to apply please see this website:www.cardiff.ac.uk/pgt/p/scholarships
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Dr Tim Jones
- +44 (0)29 2087 4830
- +44 (0)29 2087 4326