The minimum academic entry standard is an Honours degree (classification 2:2 or above) in any subject. For more information on the Admissions Criteria for this course, please visit: https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/taught/courses/course/pre-registration-diploma-in-occupational-therapy-pgd
Months of entry
Join a School ranked 1st in the UK for Occupational Therapy (BSc) by the Complete University Guide 2019. Our Postgraduate Diploma programme in Occupational Therapy is specially designed for graduates already holding a degree; offering you a fast-track route into a professional career in healthcare.
As a qualified Occupational Therapist, you will work in partnership with and empower a broad spectrum of people who, for reasons of ill-health, disability, trauma or adverse social circumstances, face barriers and challenges which prevent them from undertaking the activities (or occupations) that matter to them. Our programme emphasises the importance of occupation in human life, the relationship between occupation, health and wellbeing and the power of occupation to transform the lives of individuals, groups and communities.
With over 50 years of experience in delivering occupational therapy education at Cardiff University, our two-year, full-time programme is approved by the World Federation of Occupational Therapists (WFOT), which means that your qualification will be recognised in around 60 countries worldwide, enhancing your opportunities for international employment.
We have close working relationships with a range of service providers across Wales and you will benefit from practice placements facilitated by experienced occupational therapy educators who will help support you in becoming the best occupational therapist you can be. A varied profile of placement experience undertaken across the two years of the programme will allow you to integrate academic theory with actual occupational therapy practice and gain insight as to the wide-ranging employment opportunities available to you upon qualification (e.g. within NHS, Local Authority, private and third sector settings).
You will receive close academic support from experienced personal tutors and be taught and supported by experienced staff whilst sharing ideas within a close-knit student group. An emphasis on scholarly practice also ensures that you enter the profession as a research-capable practitioner equipped with the skills and confidence to contribute to the evidence base which supports and informs current and future occupational therapy practice.
The programme fosters a commitment to lifelong learning among its students and you will actively engage in continuing professional development throughout the two years, reflecting upon and recording your individual learning needs and achievements.
Once you have successfully completed the programme you will be eligible to apply for registration with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) as well as professional membership of the Royal College of Occupational Therapists (RCOT). You can also choose to undertake a further self-funded 60 credit dissertation module of study which leads to the award of a full MSc in Occupation and Health.Distinctive features
Join a School ranked 4th in the UK overall and 1st for our research environment in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework assessment (under Allied Health Professions, Dentistry, Nursing and Pharmacy). Here are some of the key features of why we think our course will make you the best Occupational Therapist you can be:
- Our programme offers the unique opportunity to study at an accelerated pace and enables you to register as an occupational therapist within two years.
- Once you have successfully completed the programme you will be eligible to apply for registration with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) as well as professional membership of the Royal College of Occupational Therapists (RCOT).
- Approved by the World Federation of Occupational Therapists (WFOT), which means that your qualification will be recognised in around 60 countries worldwide.
- You’ll be taught by a highly experienced, inter-professional team with extensive knowledge and expertise in the fields of occupational therapy education, management and practice.Members of the team are actively involved in the publication of impactful research and professional literature which informs the current and future direction of occupational therapy and healthcare at a national and international level.
- Our programme design, content and delivery has been informed and shaped by consultation with key stakeholders, including users of occupational therapy services, students, practitioners and service managers.
- We have established opportunities for international mobility with partners in Sweden, Malta, Ireland and Belgium. Cardiff University has the largest number of Erasmus exchange places for occupational therapy students in the United Kingdom.
- Opportunities for authentic and meaningful inter-professional education, afforded by a multi-professional School of Healthcare Sciences and collaboration with other Schools within the University, such as the School of Social Sciences where we currently facilitate learning between postgraduate social work and occupational therapy students.
- Bespoke occupational therapy facilities developed for your learning in the form of an activities of daily living suite which provides a realistic environment in which to develop and practise a range of practical therapeutic skills. The suite is also home to the Occupational Therapy Clinic which provides specialist assessment, treatment and advice for children with developmental disorders and offers you opportunities for involvement.
- We have close links with the College of Occupational Therapists meaning your learning is relevant and up to date.
- You will have academic support and be assigned a designated personal tutor throughout your Studies. You will also be assigned a dedicated placement educator/mentor when on placement.
- The opportunity to become a student representative and shape future educational provision.
- All University teaching sessions are captured on video and made available online* for you to review and revisit your learning (*where appropriate to do so).
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Admissions Team