Suitable for graduates in architecture, planning, engineering, social sciences, computer science and environmental sciences with an upper second class honours degree. Those with a degree in a relevant subject area, such as architecture, planning, engineering, social sciences, computer science and environmental sciences are encouraged to also apply. The School welcomes enquiries and applications from suitably qualified people wishing to conduct research in a relevant field.
Months of entry
To offer knowledge and expertise for a career in architecture and other areas of building design, academia and the building industry.
The Architectural Science Group addresses the development, evaluation and application of principles for sustainable, low-energy, low-Carbon design and management of the built environment, on scales from the individual component, through whole buildings, to communities.
The following areas are of particular strength:
- Sustainable housing design
- Human interaction with the built environment
- Urban planning for sustainability
- Adaptation to climate change
- Health and comfort in buildings and settlements
- Responsive facades
- Naturally ventilated buildings
- Efficient building services
- Alternative and renewable energy supplies
- Low energy and passive heating and cooling
- Waste minimisation in construction
- Development of modelling and simulation methods in architectural science
- Development of design tools and guidance
- Energy and environmental assessment
- Building construction processes
- Research in the design process
- Integrating combined heat and power use with buildings
- Energy performance studies of buildings in use
- Socio-technical transitions to sustainability
- Low-carbon innovation
- Students can apply for up to £500 per year for expenses relating to their research.
- There is the opportunity to become involved in teaching activities in the School.
For more information please click here
Information for international students
IELTS 6.5 or equivalent required.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Miss Katrina Lewis
- +44 (0)29 2087 6251
- +44 (0)29 2087 4623