You can only apply for the LLM in Professional Legal Skills if you are enrolled to undertake the BPTC at The City Law School or if you registered to take the BVC with us in the last five years. All students accepted will be expected to attend an Induction Day. BVC Alumni If you have undertaken the BVC at The City Law School, registering for that within the last 5 years and you would like to apply for the LLM in Professional Legal Practice your options are:
Months of entry
By studying the Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC) at The City Law School you will have the opportunity to convert your BPTC into an LLM in Professional Legal Skills. As our BPTC is delivered at Master's level rather than degree level, our LLM in Professional Legal Skills satisfies all the requirements of a traditional LLM, but has a primary focus on practice.
To be awarded the LLM in Professional Legal Skills you need to complete a dissertation on a personally selected topic. When you apply for the LLM you will be asked to put forward a proposal for this dissertation.
There are a wide choice of possibilities for your dissertation proposal. The key requirement is that your choice of topic must focus on knowledge and skills directly relevant to legal practice, procedure or skill. We are keen to encourage students to look at topics related to pupillage or pro bono work, but this is not essential.
The classes that you will have already completed on the BPTC provide the taught element of the course. To complete your dissertation you will need to work independently, use practitioner sources and apply law at an advanced level to solve problems whilst developing an awareness of current practice issues.
In support of your work on dissertation we provide:
- 1:1 structured supervision
- Web-based guidance on research, planning and writing a dissertation
- Support for small-scale empirical research
- Access to all The City Law School and City University London facilities, including: Library services, IT support and Careers advice services
In addition to the taught classes on the BPTC, the LLM gives you the opportunity to focus on an area of professional legal practice of your own choice, while strengthening your knowledge and understanding of legal professional practice. This can be linked to pupillage, to underline your commitment to a particular area, or can be used more generally to strengthen your CV.
Why City's LLM?
- Develop the knowledge and skills gained from your BPTC
- Benefit from ongoing one-to-one specialist support and expert supervision
- Explore a specialist area of law and become an expert in that field
- Enhance your long-term career prospects and attractiveness to employers
- Gain an instant competitive advantage in a crowded recruitment market
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- The School Office
- +44 (0)20 7404 5787