Successful applicants must normally hold at least a second-class honours degree from a discipline relevant to the Programme. Applicants with a lower class of degree and/or with a qualification in other subject areas will be individually considered and will usually be interviewed prior to being offered a place on the course. Applicants whose first language is not English must have a minimum IELTS 6.5 or TOEFL 600 or equivalent.
Months of entry
The last three decades have seen a substantial rise in the number and frequency of disasters. Global warming, together with its associated extreme weather events make it likely to see this trend continue.
It is becoming increasingly important to foster resilience and a capacity to withstand disaster events, as a part of reducing and managing risk within a broader context of sustainable development.
The course aims to provide students with the research skills, knowledge and management expertise to deal with future crises, emergencies and disasters in the developed and developing world.
Courses in disaster management have been offered at Coventry University for over ten years.
- Provides an understanding of theory and practice and their application within local, national and international contexts;
- designed to give students the knowledge and skills necessary for successful disaster intervention in the UK, and elsewhere across the globe;
- emphasis on academic content and on application of theory and principles;
- uses case studies to ensure that applied and theoretical knowledge complement each other;
- appropriate for professionals who wish to further their careers in the areas of disaster management, risk assessment, community development, humanitarian assistance and capacity building;
- staff teaching on the course have a wide range of practice based and research skills and form a cohesive multi-disciplinary team with a strong commitment to advancing disaster management research and practice.
Information for international students
Please contact our International/EU Office:
Telephone: +44(0)24 7615 2152
Fees and funding
For Coventry University graduates there is an alumni discount of £500, there are also Postgraduate Merit Scholarships available to UK students of £1000 towards tuition fees - please visit website for more information and criteria
Qualification and course duration
|Assessment||What kind of work will I be doing? (proportionally)|
|Written coursework / continuous assessment||25|
Course contact details
- UK - Recruitment and Admissions Office
- +44(0)24 7765 4321
- + 44 (0)24 7688 8609