A good undergraduate degree. This course is aimed primarily at law graduates, legal practitioners (solicitors and barristers) from the UK and other jurisdictions, and politics and business graduates with some knowledge of law.
International applicants should also hold a minimum of 6.5 score in the IELTS test for English language.
Months of entry
January, September, May
This course starts in January, May and September 2017.
Many students wish to acquire a general knowledge of law and legal regulation without specialising in any particular area. The LLM course allows you to do this by studying a number of international law modules in areas such as business, human rights and public international law.
Why choose this course?
This course builds on knowledge and expertise within the Law School and complements the existing range of masters courses offered in International Law and International Business Law. The course allows you to study a number of international law modules available on our special routes and thus offers an opportunity to study, and specialise in various areas of Public International Law, Human Rights and International Business.
If you choose this course you could benefit from:
- an in-depth understanding and analysis of international law through the study of a range of contemporary modules in areas such as public international law, international human rights law and international business;
- extensive guidance on research, study and writing skills together with research design and methods, in preparation for writing assessments and researching and submitting your dissertation;
- a range of contemporary international law modules to allow specialism in international diplomatic relations, human rights law, business law, corporate governance and environmental law;
- the study of legal subjects and research and academic skills alongside home and EU students and a wide range of international students, thus gaining a rewarding and varied academic and personal experience.
What will I learn?
Courses are regularly reviewed and updated to reflect new developments and the requirements of the profession, together with the needs of industry and new legislative and other changes.
The mandatory modules on the programme provide basic research skills and methodology and tuition in the core substantive legal areas:
- Research Skills;
- Research Design;
- International Human Rights;
- International Law in the Contemporary World Arena;
- International Business Law.
The dissertation will be studied in semester three and most mandatory modules are completed in semester one, although it is possible to study some in semester two. The optional modules, from which you choose two, supplement the mandatory subject areas and allow further specialism:
- International Environmental Law;
- International Corporate Crime;
- International Corporate Governance;
- International Criminal Law;
- Gender and International Human Rights;
- International Trade Law.
Optional modules are generally studied in semester two, although it is possible to study some in semester one.
How will this course enhance my career prospects?
The LLM provides you with a valuable and broad knowledge of international law and affairs which could result in career opportunities in various employments, such as companies, government and state agencies and non-governmental organisations, either as a legal adviser or in a non-legal capacity.
Some students specialise in Business, Diplomatic Relations or Human Rights Law as lawyers both at home and abroad, while others have gone on to work for international organisations in a non-legal capacity in the areas of international human rights, the environment and for local and national government agencies. This course can also be an excellent preparation for further degrees and research.
Global leaders programme
To prepare students for the challenges of the global employment market and to strengthen and develop their broader personal and professional skills Coventry University has developed a unique Global Leaders Programme.
The objectives of the programme, in which postgraduate and eligible undergraduate students can participate, is to provide practical career workshops and enable participants to experience different business cultures.
Click here for futher details on the Global Leaders Programme.
Information for international students
To find an enquiry form for international students, visit our website.
Contact us on +44 (0) 24 7765 2152
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
LLM by research
Course contact details
- Recruitment and Admissions Office
- +44 (0) 24 7765 4321