5 GCSEs at grade A*-C including English, Mathematics, or specified equivalents.
Months of entry
Civil engineers shape the world – literally. Responsible for planning, designing and building society’s essential infrastructure, they take a leading role in maintaining the quality of our personal and professional lives, managing a vast range of construction projects, from bridges and buildings to transport links and sports stadiums.
This professionally accredited integrated masters course offers you the opportunity to achieve a Master’s level qualification in four years of full-time study. The course fully satisfies the educational base for Chartered Engineer (CEng) status and Incorporated Engineer (IEng) status. Graduates have the chance to take a leading role in the civil engineering profession.
Ranked among the country’s top 25 universities for ‘Civil Engineering’ in the Guardian University Guide 2017, Coventry University offers a very practical civil engineering course with a significant amount of embedded laboratory work. The course also makes use of The Simulation Centre in its teaching of construction management.
Why choose this course?
Placing an emphasis on structural engineering practice and its role within construction, Coventry University has a long-established reputation for the teaching of civil and structural engineering and excellent links with industry.
You will study subjects that can give you the necessary expertise to analyse, design and manage solutions for innovative and complex civil and structural engineering projects as a basis for the future leadership in the civil and structural engineering professions.
If you choose this course you will benefit from:
- Significant opportunities to apply for industrial placements at companies that have previously included: Arcadis, Arup, Atkins, Balfour Beatty, BAM, Buro Happold, Carilllion, CGL, CPUK, Donaldson Associates, Galliford Try, Geotechnics Ltd, Hyder, Interserve, Kier, Laing O’Rourke, Morgan Sindall, Mott MacDonald, Severn Trent Water, Warwickshire County Council and Willmott Dixon;
- A teaching team who are active in research and have industrial experience, who bring their expertise into their teaching to ensure it is relevant to the needs of industry;
- Relevant field trips and site visits to see how real construction projects are undertaken;
- Collaborative links with universities in 20 countries around the world, including Ryerson University Canada, Rennes University France and National University of Colombia, giving you the chance for you to spend part of your studies abroad.
- Full-time students studying alongside part-time students who are working in the industry, sharing first-hand experience of construction and providing a rich learning experience.
- Activity weeks within each semester of the course that include practical learning, employability training, software training courses, and international field trips.
- High student satisfaction – 96% overall satisfaction and 91% for the quality of teaching in the National Student Survey (NSS) 2016.
- Strong track record of graduate employment – 93% of MEng graduates in work or continuing their studies within six months (DLHE 2014/15), 100% of those employed in professional level roles.
- Opportunity to transfer onto the MEng in Civil Engineering at the end of stage 2 if required.
*Accreditations shall be requested in accordance with the Joint Board of Moderators (JBM), standard review process and subject to Coventry University maintaining the same high standards of course delivery. For up to date information please enquire prior to application.
The JBM represents the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE), The Institution of Structural Engineers (ISE), The Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation (CIHT) and the Institute of Highway Engineers (IHE).
Once approved the course will fully satisfy the educational base for Chartered Engineer (CEng) status and of an Incorporated Engineer (IEng) status.
What will I learn?
There are three core course themes, which are carefully balanced across all years of the course: specific technical knowledge, construction practice and skill development through group project work.
Throughout the four years of study, you will cover the principles and practice of civil and structural engineering within a global context, including engineering analysis, structural analysis and design, materials, geotechnics, highways and surveying, construction and project management, hydraulics and water engineering.
You will have the opportunity to gain an insight into the full breadth of design and construction disciplines that collaborate in the multidisciplinary construction industry. Full-time students also benefit from the practical experience brought to the course by part-time students already working in industry.
How will this course be taught?
Your course will be based on a series of lectures with associated tutorials, laboratory classes, practicals and studio sessions. In addition, you will be assigned a personal tutor who will review and discuss your progress with you and will be available for advice and pastoral care.
In each semester of your course, there will be “activity weeks” which will develop your practical and construction skills, include employability development, training courses on industry standard software, and two international field trips.
The highly practical nature of the course enables you to work with staff on real-world problems from industry and research groups, mirroring the work you’ll do in professional practice. This means that while you learn the technical content of your degree, these projects help you to develop the professional skills required including: problem assessment and resolution; project, task and time management; risk assessment; team work and leadership; technical report writing etc.
How will I be assessed?
An estimated percentage breakdown of how your ﬁnal grade is assessed is as followsFormal examinations: 40% coursework, tests, essays 10%; practical or project work 20%; group work etc. 20%; presentations, posters etc. 10%
Information for international students
Click here for mor einformation.
Fees and funding
Click here for more information.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Recruitment and Admissions Office
- +44 (0) 24 7765 2222