Hold a relevant professional qualification, such as Learning Disability Nurse, Mental Health Nursing (diploma or degree), Social Work or Allied Health Professional, currently working with/coming into regular contact with people with intellectual disabilities who have forensic needs, for example employed within an 'in patient facility' such as St Andrews, a Regional Secure Unit, community team, social work team, probationary service, police constabulary, CJS, have neither 1 or 3 but from personal statement can demonstrate an understanding and career aspiration for helping this population (refer to course director for advice). Applicants for whom English is not their first language must also be able to demonstrate IETLS 6.5.
Months of entry
The Professional Approaches to Forensic Intellectual Disability PgCert course is aimed at nurses, social workers and associated health practitioners, members of the Criminal Justice System working with vulnerable adults, such as the police, prison and probation officers and those with an interest in enhancing their knowledge and skills in this area.
Three core modules
- Contemporary definitions and principles of practice current interpretations of intellectual disability and associated mental health issues will be considered. Opportunities to examine different frameworks and service responses in working with this population;
- Law and ethics and intellectual disability. A current awareness of the changing legislation relating to people with intellectual disabilities. The legal system will be covered encompassing the unique ethical issues relating to this population;
- Forensic issues in intellectual disability and mental health drawing on student's own experience and interest, specific approaches to working with this vulnerable population will be analysed, covering the main psychiatric disorders affecting this population.
Information for international students
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Health and Social Care Unit
- +44 (0) 24 7679 5388 or +44 (0) 24 7679 5958